starting strength gym
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: At what point should you start deadlift warmups with 135lbs?

Default At what point should you start deadlift warmups with 135lbs?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I have two 10lb training plates that are the same diameter as 45lb plates. Should I always start my 2 warm up sets with the 10's on so for a total of 65lbs? Or should I at some point transition to a 135lb warm-up?

Is the 135lb warm-up more import for when you do not have lighter same sized diameter plates?

Warm up weights kind of depend on your strength level.

Depends on what you're lifting for your work set.

The idea is to start your warmups with a weight that's the right height off the floor, and also very light for you.

I've started with 135 for deadlift warmups since my work sets got over 225.
    I don't do 2 sets at 135 either -- I'm already warm from squatting, so I just do:
    135 x5
    185 x2
    singles at 40-50lb jumps up to work weight

When it isn't taxing enough to affect your workset.

I was pulling (kg) 20x10 60x5 80x3 100x1 120x1 130x1 140x1 until recently, now I skip the 80kg set and just do 60x5 100x1 120x1 etc.

I will often do about ten reps with an empty bar, just to make sure all my joints move and nothing breaks.

The important part of the warm up is that it gets you warmed up. Get the body moving as it should and then get the feel of the heavier loads in steps that work for you.

At some point you will be too impatient to swap plates and will consider 135lbs light enough for a set of five with no adverse consequences. If you do this too soon, the worst that will happen is that you might miss a rep on the workset and then you will know what to do next time.

Day 1 if you're a healthy male under 55

Quote Originally Posted by OZ-USF-UFGator View Post
    Looking back at my log, this is what I did. Squats warm up the stuff you use in a deadlift. Workout #1 for deadlift was 135x5 with no prior warmup, and I started all my stuff way lighter than necessary.

Depends on your work weight. If you're pulling 135 as your work set, I wouldn't start there to warm up. But, if you're pulling 315 or something, then yes. Even when I pull a heavy set at 505, I pull 135 from the floor as my first warmup.

Quote Originally Posted by OZ-USF-UFGator View Post
    When I started at age 45, my first working deadlift weight was 85 lbs. And this wasn't me sandbagging, I could not budge 135 off the floor at that point.

I was a healthy adult male, just severely undermuscled. Lots of folks start out in that situation.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by cwd View Post
    When I started at age 45, my first working deadlift weight was 85 lbs. And this wasn't me sandbagging, I could not budge 135 off the floor at that point.

I was a healthy adult male, just severely undermuscled. Lots of folks start out in that situation.
    Id dispute your claim that you were healthy.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast