starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Only training upper body

Default Only training upper body

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    First of all, sorry for the blasphemic title. Let me elaborate.

I have aquired a low back injury, which for some time now (3 months) has prevented me from both squatting and deadlifting.
    To be honest I'm going out of my mind not gaining or losing bodyweight, and thus not getting anywhere/putting on any muscle mass.

So heres the question (sorry if it sounds dumb):
    Would it be possible for me to slowly begin gaining weight while only training my upper body (chest, triceps, biceps, shoulders, back)? Or would not deadlifting and squatting prevent me from reaching the necessary stimulus to put on muscle mass?

Thanks!

Are you trying to gain weight for its own sake? You'll put on muscle mass and gain strength in the upper body by training the upper body.

Thank you for your answer.
    I'm trying to gain weight because gaining weight means getting stronger/putting on muscle mass.
    I've been eating at maintenance for the past 3-4 months, and I really wish to make progression in terms of either strength or muscle mass, which won't happen unless I eat more.

I'm just nervous that I will put on more fat than muscle when only working out half the body, which means half the stimulus (right ?).

Quote Originally Posted by Bavnemand View Post
    Thank you for your answer.
    I'm trying to gain weight because gaining weight means getting stronger/putting on muscle mass.
    I've been eating at maintenance for the past 3-4 months, and I really wish to make progression in terms of either strength or muscle mass, which won't happen unless I eat more.

I'm just nervous that I will put on more fat than muscle when only working out half the body, which means half the stimulus (right ?).
    Eat at a smaller surplus

Quote Originally Posted by DodgerDog View Post
    Eat at a smaller surplus
    Really, it's that simple. Upper body muscles are smaller, have less capacity for getting bigger-er, but they still do get bigger over time when subjected to the right stimulus. Just eat a smaller surplus. If you've been eating at maintenance, start with a small bump and see what happens. If you fail to gain strength and add weight to the bar, bump it a little more. If your waist is increasing faster than the weight on the bar warrants, turn it back down some. Evaluate and repeat every week or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    Really, it's that simple. Upper body muscles are smaller, have less capacity for getting bigger-er, but they still do get bigger over time when subjected to the right stimulus. Just eat a smaller surplus. If you've been eating at maintenance, start with a small bump and see what happens. If you fail to gain strength and add weight to the bar, bump it a little more. If your waist is increasing faster than the weight on the bar warrants, turn it back down some. Evaluate and repeat every week or two.
    Okay, I'll give that a try. Thanks Wolf.
    Regarding "right stimulus", would you recommend adding additional isolation exercises in the 6-8 rep range after the big compound movements to incite growth?

Look at bench press competitors in the Paralympics.

Quote Originally Posted by hamburgerfan View Post
    Look at bench press competitors in the Paralympics.
    Or bros that bench 4 or 5 wheels. :-) You can definitely still gain while just training upper body while your back heals.

I have aquired a low back injury, which for some time now (3 months) has prevented me from both squatting and deadlifting.
    I'm curious to hear more details about this part. You can't even do a light deadlift or squat? What was the nature of the injury?

starting strength coach development program
    Low back injuries can usually still be trained around also. Leg Press? Isolation stuff (leg curls, extensions)? It's not squatting but it's not nothing either.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast