starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you log?

Default What do you log?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    What do you guys log?

I currently log my workouts with warm up and work sets like the example in the book. I'm curious if anyone logs more or less than this.

I record worksets only. I'll make a note if something was different than normal (sleep, food, equipment, illness). And I'll make a note of the why's if something is different from the planned workout (ex. missed reps, sickness, travel).

In the past I've logged weight, sleep, calories, warm-ups... but I've found the more complicated my paper log gets, the more likely I am to "forget" to log.

Peruse some of the logs and you'll see

I log warmup; sleep, steps, calories, etc. even used to log what movies/music I used to get me through. That was probably overkill.

I try (poorly) to log things I think will interest others. My personal paper log is just work sets. My forum log includes stupid stories I think will help someone using the search function.

Work sets, failures, recently discovered memes

As a competitor I log my warm up sets as well as my working sets. I have found this to be beneficial when I am at a meet and I am in the warm up area, I know what weights and reps to warm up with as I get ready for my attempts. It helps me now the time I need to rest between sets, how I felt and all that jazz. So when meet day comes I am not thinking about my warm ups or my jumps, because I already know what I need to do based on my training cycles.

Lifting:
    Work sets and reps.
    Time elapsed of session.
    Calories burned.
    Average heart rate.
    Peak heart rate.
    Post lifting stretching.

Conditioning:
    Time elapsed of session.
    Calories burned.
    Average heart rate.
    Peak heart rate.
    Post cardio stretching.

Hm, just noticed no edit function.

Add type of equipment used or activity performed for Conditioning segment.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    Time elapsed of session.
    Never thought to record how long my lifting takes, but that's definitely valuable training data.

starting strength coach development program
    In my gym notebook I log the date and time, a title (e.g., "SSLP workout A" or "Volume day") and then my complete record of lifts - warmups and working sets. I'll usually add a one word note to remind myself how things felt next time (e.g., "heavy", "easy", etc).

I use a relatively small notebook (the "rite in rain" 3x5 softcover memo book - water proof paper is the only way to go) but I'm planning to go to a larger one soon. I am finding I want more room to write things down. I'm also looking at writing my full plan (and coach's cues) out ahead of time - an "expected vs actual" log - so I can see not just what I did but what I intended on doing.

In my online training log I add more details and observations about diet, weight, sleep, a note about how I'm feeling, stories about my kids and dad jokes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast