starting strength gym
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: RPE

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Everyone is allowed to have an incorrect opinion and to feel strongly about them. Taking place in a discussion and allowing others to critique your incorrect opinions is the primary way in which people learn. Having your beliefs challenged is a positive thing that cannot occur unless you air said beliefs. The information you provided indicates to me that the correct application of RPE by an advanced lifter is a very useful tool. It allows them to catalog their prior experiences in a useful way which can be used to program future workouts. I did not understand the process for proper RPE and based on how it has appeared to me in writing previously it was very much a "how do you feel today" and very intangible thing. I apologize for this misunderstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hanley View Post
    With respect to a few things, nut namely:

- with respect to loads at/over ~75%
    - with respect to rep number in near maximal sets (@9-@10).
    Not sure that bar speed decay towards the end of a maximal set is linear. I would have to plot some more recent data. I usually have big drop offs towards the end of RPE 9-10 sets. Like a max set of 5 squats could be something like...

.38 .38 .35 .25 .18

Here's a plot from early last year with some submaximal 5s:

Quote Originally Posted by Dalton Clark View Post
    Everyone is allowed to have an incorrect opinion and to feel strongly about them. Taking place in a discussion and allowing others to critique your incorrect opinions is the primary way in which people learn. Having your beliefs challenged is a positive thing that cannot occur unless you air said beliefs. The information you provided indicates to me that the correct application of RPE by an advanced lifter is a very useful tool. It allows them to catalog their prior experiences in a useful way which can be used to program future workouts. I did not understand the process for proper RPE and based on how it has appeared to me in writing previously it was very much a "how do you feel today" and very intangible thing. I apologize for this misunderstanding.
    Cool, man. Sorry if my reply was abrasive. I feel like I've been having the same debate over and over on this forum and I get frustrated at times.

Quote Originally Posted by manveer View Post
    Not sure that bar speed decay towards the end of a maximal set is linear. I would have to plot some more recent data. I usually have big drop offs towards the end of RPE 9-10 sets. Like a max set of 5 squats could be something like...

.38 .38 .35 .25 .18

Here's a plot from early last year with some submaximal 5s:

It's linear enough you fucking pussy

Quote Originally Posted by John Hanley View Post
    It's linear enough you fucking pussy
    #triggered

Quote Originally Posted by manveer View Post
    #triggered
    I bow to the bovine within you.

I said "pretty damned linear". That's not "linear". Surely you remember bitching that I could never get my data to match Mladen's nice neat lines?

Everyone is allowed to have an incorrect opinion and to feel strongly about them.
    The tldr of every RPE thread on this site: "how you feeeel about RPE utility value doesn't matter".

I've been conditioned to not give a shit about feelings with regards to training. My coach may or may not have a podcast with Rip about how feelings are useless.

I've been conditioned to not give a shit about feelings with regards to training. My coach may or may not have a podcast with Rip about how feelings are useless.
    Isn't it ironic? Doncha think?

starting strength coach development program
    isn't what ironic? That how we feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel about RPE utility doesn't matter? Yes, that is quite ironic.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast