starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gym Recommendations NYC

Default Gym Recommendations NYC

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I go to NYU and live in the village (3rd Ave and 9th) , I'm looking for good gyms that aren't too expensive. I currently train at the college gym, but it's got hex plates and shitty bars, so I'm looking to upgrade my training experience.

I'm not fully sure how the subway works, but S&S Barbell is in Williamsburg, is open 24 hours, and has mostly good equipment except for the weightlifting platforms (the deadlift platforms are excellent though.)

Quote Originally Posted by ChasingCurls69 View Post
    I'm not fully sure how the subway works, but S&S Barbell is in Williamsburg, is open 24 hours, and has mostly good equipment except for the weightlifting platforms (the deadlift platforms are excellent though.)
    That's a bit of a commute for me (1 hour round trip). Seems like there aren't really any good gyms around me.

Quote Originally Posted by alexptacek View Post
    That's a bit of a commute for me (1 hour round trip). Seems like there aren't really any good gyms around me.
    that is absolutely correct. There will be varying degrees of awful. The only exception is a few of the Xfit gyms are fine if you're willing to pay what they want for open gym membership. They will have the equipment, though coaching quality varies. I think Wolf still works out of a lower midtown box(solstice? I forget what it's called) so there's that.

When I last had a gym membership, it was at Synergy on 2nd and 14th. They had a rack and platform, and a group of dedicated weightlifters(olympic) that worked out there. They kept a rogue bar and a westside bar locked up in a closet, so that was decent. This was a couple of years ago, so can't promise that's still going on or what equipment they have.

Quote Originally Posted by DashOfSalt View Post
    that is absolutely correct. There will be varying degrees of awful. The only exception is a few of the Xfit gyms are fine if you're willing to pay what they want for open gym membership. They will have the equipment, though coaching quality varies. I think Wolf still works out of a lower midtown box(solstice? I forget what it's called) so there's that.

When I last had a gym membership, it was at Synergy on 2nd and 14th. They had a rack and platform, and a group of dedicated weightlifters(olympic) that worked out there. They kept a rogue bar and a westside bar locked up in a closet, so that was decent. This was a couple of years ago, so can't promise that's still going on or what equipment they have.
    Yeah, seems like there's a no owner who's scamming people for memberships according to google reviews.

I've not been to the Sports Club on Astor but some of them are pretty decent. Maybe take a look into that?

Alex, I like Retro Fitness. They have barbells and plates, and usually a rack or stand for squats. Most have also added CrossFit-type stuff, so there may be a conditioning area with a sled, C2 rowers, Aerodynes, etc.

There's one at 1 New York Plaza near Battery Park. From your location it's about a 15-20 minute subway ride down the R or W from 8th Street Station down to Whitehall Street station.

If you can commit to the schedule, Wolf's class at Solace is easily your best bet. For what you get, it's way underpriced. If your schedule won't allow it, or if you have to keep the cost way down, there are plenty of places where you can make it work. But you're not going to find something good. That's just the reality of the city.

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    Alex, I like Retro Fitness. They have barbells and plates, and usually a rack or stand for squats. Most have also added CrossFit-type stuff, so there may be a conditioning area with a sled, C2 rowers, Aerodynes, etc.

There's one at 1 New York Plaza near Battery Park. From your location it's about a 15-20 minute subway ride down the R or W from 8th Street Station down to Whitehall Street station.
    I'll check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdam View Post
    If you can commit to the schedule, Wolf's class at Solace is easily your best bet. For what you get, it's way underpriced. If your schedule won't allow it, or if you have to keep the cost way down, there are plenty of places where you can make it work. But you're not going to find something good. That's just the reality of the city.
    Yeah I have classes during his class. You would think NYC wouldn't be an absolute desert for good gyms. Sucks.

starting strength coach development program
    Its not a desert for good gyms. Its a desert for reasonably priced good gyms.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast