starting strength gym

Thread: Linear Progression - Squat

Default Linear Progression - Squat

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Doesn't get any more linear than this!

Squat Linear Progression

As an aside question, as the weight has been progressing, I find that its much harder for me to reach depth on my work sets (perhaps mentally I am stopping short of reaching depth). Is there anything I can do to help this? Do you think I should cut back and start over at a lower weight to ensure that depth is being reached? I was initially going to do this, but then I kept reading/watching ss videos saying its a mistake to not progress just because your form isn't perfect. Appreciate any help!

Thanks!

This is almost always a shortening depth to avoid having to maintain tightness at the bottom because well. . .squats are hard. Depth at heavy weight is almost always mental.. Depth is probably one of the more important elements but you aren't at a weight where things need to be perfect, that is true. I would take side video and just focus on making yourself go to depth. No you shouldn't start over.

what app is that screenshot from? I've been using the ss app, but it seems pretty limited in it's capabilities as far as fine tuning the program.

Quote Originally Posted by bremered View Post
    what app is that screenshot from? I've been using the ss app, but it seems pretty limited in it's capabilities as far as fine tuning the program.
    Its an app called HeavySet . its pretty awesome, it already has the basic SS, 5/3/1 etc programs in it but you can customize it by reps, max reps, intensity based on training max etc. It took me a little while to figure out but I really find it useful. It also autosaves your last workout or last set and will prepopulate the weight/reps so it saves a lot of time. Also can set a timer between sets that is useful when I am doing my work sets.

Quote Originally Posted by naperthrill View Post
    Its an app called HeavySet . its pretty awesome, it already has the basic SS, 5/3/1 etc programs in it but you can customize it by reps, max reps, intensity based on training max etc. It took me a little while to figure out but I really find it useful. It also autosaves your last workout or last set and will prepopulate the weight/reps so it saves a lot of time. Also can set a timer between sets that is useful when I am doing my work sets.
    thanks, I'll check it out.

To naperthrill,

I was at work so couldn't post anything encouraging, but it is always heartwarming to see someone properly implementing the program and seeing continuous linear progress. You should feel good about that. Now keep it going to 315. You got dis!

Squat Linear Progression

As an aside question, as the weight has been progressing, I find that its much harder for me to reach depth on my work sets (perhaps mentally I am stopping short of reaching depth). Is there anything I can do to help this? Do you think I should cut back and start over at a lower weight to ensure that depth is being reached? I was initially going to do this, but then I kept reading/watching ss videos saying its a mistake to not progress just because your form isn't perfect. Appreciate any help!

Thanks!
    Nice work! Re making depth: I had some trouble with this in the late 200s. My suggestion: don't reset. Make sure you hit depth on all the warmup. On the work set, you KNOW you can make depth on the first rep. So do it, then repeat x4. For me, putting all my mental focus on that *one* good rep to start the work set made the difference. [This assumes your technique is in order]

Good luck!

Squat Linear Progression

Thanks!
    I had this same problem. It's mental or at least it was for me. Squats are HARD and they have a mental component the other lifts don't in that you feel pinned beneath the bar just go to depth anyway.

I find that I am much more unnerved by the bench than I am by the squat with regards to being between the bar and the floor. But to each their own.

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

starting strength coach development program

Squat Linear Progression

Thanks!
    I'd approach based on how high you're squatting. If it's just by a small amount (an inch or an inch and a half), commit to burying the reps in an entire set, and watch yourself closely on video to make sure you're still lifting correctly. If it's pretty noticeable, a small deload may be in order because you're not really squatting the weight on the bar.

In any case, I'd video every set you do and watch immediately afterwards to keep yourself honest. If you have any question on depth, it isn't deep enough.