starting strength gym

Thread: Dead lift weak points: lifts to improve it

Default Dead lift weak points: lifts to improve it

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    my DL is my weakest lift. probably bc i only train it once a week (novice LP ---->Texas Method----->HLM) but that is what the book says, that is what rippetoe says, so im goin with it.

Anyway, the toughest part is from 1in off the floor to the knee. once ive got the bar to my knees or even a little below its easy to lockout. i can also almost always start to pick the weight up off the floor just a bit before it drops back down.

what are the reccomendations for improving the DL for someone with that weak point in the range of movement?

thanks ya bastards,

Cole

Quote Originally Posted by cole205 View Post
    my DL is my weakest lift. probably bc i only train it once a week (novice LP ---->Texas Method----->HLM) but that is what the book says, that is what rippetoe says, so im goin with it.
    Deadlift more. Only deadlift HEAVY once a week.

Quote Originally Posted by cole205 View Post
    Anyway, the toughest part is from 1in off the floor to the knee. once ive got the bar to my knees or even a little below its easy to lockout. i can also almost always start to pick the weight up off the floor just a bit before it drops back down.

what are the reccomendations for improving the DL for someone with that weak point in the range of movement?
    Doing deadlifts through that specific range of motion would obviously make the most sense. Also known as Halting deadlifts.

Quote Originally Posted by Ericsquats View Post
    Doing deadlifts through that specific range of motion would obviously make the most sense. Also known as Halting deadlifts.
    Never seen anyone besides Rip recommend them as a deadlift assistance exercise... If you lack strength of the floor, I'd say SLDLs/RDLs or deficit deadlifts make more sense as an assistance exercise since they allow you to train the weak muscles without having to bang your head against that particular weakness the same way repeatedly. When shit is stagnant, a subtle switch is psychologically more beneficial than more of the same.

Do a second deadlift day with 3x5 of a deadlift variation. Paused deadlifts (an inch off the floor) and snatch-grip deadlifts are also good options.

Strengthening your abdominal muscles will provide a very positive impact on your off the floor power.
    Never do touch and go reps.

I second the above recommendations to add some medium day pulls so you DL more than once per week. I also recommend you make sure your setup is correct. A weak or incorrect setup could be causing you issues getting the bar off the floor. A video form check would be useful.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasingCurls69 View Post
    Do a second deadlift day with 3x5 of a deadlift variation. Paused deadlifts (an inch off the floor) and snatch-grip deadlifts are also good options.
    Second for paused deadlifts. Break the weight just off the floor, hold tight for one second, then complete the deadlift.