starting strength gym

Thread: Test Day Weight Selection

Default Test Day Weight Selection

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    This weekend, I'll be finishing up my second run at Jordan's general intermediate program, which calls for a test day, with 1@8, 1@9, and 1@10 for competition squat, bench, and deadlift. As I'm still kind of new at RPE, I wanted to see how my RPE assessments seem, and if my target weights appear reasonable for Sunday.

Here is a squat, 1x450@8:

and 1x470@9:

If those look okay, my goals for Sunday would be 1x450@8, 470@9, and 485@10, all +/-5 lbs. depending on judgment.

And here is a deadlift, 1x515@9:

If that looks ok, I'd like to do 495@8, 515@9, and 535@10.

Any input would be helpful. Thanks!

Full disclaimer, I'm super new to RPE (I don't use it for training, just trying to understand it) and do not claim to have it figured out.

I usually take what I thought it was in the moment, versus the bar speed, and then kind of split the difference. That said, I have no idea what your PERCEPTION was, but those move way too nicely for me to have said they were 9's if it were me...

Just a bored dude opining on the interweb...

450 looked like 7.5, 470 like 8.5 to me. The deadlift video has 3 reps? Maybe wrong video? Back unlocked, so for flat back it's >@10, but it looked like you could have had at least 1 more with rounding. Since this is for programming weights rather than a competition, I'd be inclined to be more strict about back flatness, and at the very least pick something I know I could maintain extension in for the 1st and 2nd pulls, but that's up to you.

Quote Originally Posted by cgeorg View Post
    450 looked like 7.5, 470 like 8.5 to me. The deadlift video has 3 reps? Maybe wrong video? Back unlocked, so for flat back it's >@10, but it looked like you could have had at least 1 more with rounding. Since this is for programming weights rather than a competition, I'd be inclined to be more strict about back flatness, and at the very least pick something I know I could maintain extension in for the 1st and 2nd pulls, but that's up to you.
    There are degrees of rounding though, and I kind of struggle to draw the line where you just flat out call it @10. First rep rounding is so miniscule it's within bounds IMO, but maybe my standards are too loose after years of round-backing. Currently filming all deadlift sets and evaluating back flatness myself, it's an annoying practice compared to just pulling heavy.

I think your squat RPEs are about half a point too generous.

The deadlift video is a rep-set.

I'd also be picky and say those squats are a touch high for competition depth. The post is in the way, but that would be a red light for both of them.

Agree with Tom. Bar speed looks like a grinder. If this was a comp and that 470 was your 2nd attempt....maybe +5kg for a third attempt ......but 485 would be a real stretch.

Good weights though.....I'm yet to go over 190Kg.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Narvaez View Post
    I think your squat RPEs are about half a point too generous.

The deadlift video is a rep-set.
    Thanks Tom. Sorry about linking the wrong video. So those are more like 8.5 and 9.5? That helps. I think I have a tendency, when it doubt, to call it so that my e1RM is where I want it to be. Still working on the objectivity.

Quote Originally Posted by turnip View Post
    I'd also be picky and say those squats are a touch high for competition depth. The post is in the way, but that would be a red light for both of them.

Agree with Tom. Bar speed looks like a grinder. If this was a comp and that 470 was your 2nd attempt....maybe +5kg for a third attempt ......but 485 would be a real stretch.

Good weights though.....I'm yet to go over 190Kg.
    I agree about the depth. I don't know why, but I've had a lot of trouble finding that last inch of depth lately.

After a short taper, everything felt good today, and I was able to hit 495. I think depth was perfect on this rep, what do you guys think?

starting strength coach development program
    the benefits of a bit of rest! Well done.