starting strength gym
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 500lbs Deadlift, 405lbs Squat goal by December...

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Franklin View Post
    Best of luck to you! I'll add that the first time I pulled 500lb, my 5RM was right around 400lb.
    Are 1rm estimators way off for deadlift? a 5rm of 400 would put you at around 460. Thats a huge difference!

Quote Originally Posted by timelinex View Post
    Are 1rm estimators way off for deadlift? a 5rm of 400 would put you at around 460. Thats a huge difference!
    It depends on the individual. My 1RM's are always much high than the estimators suggest. Maybe I don't push myself in training? Or maybe I respond well in a meet environment? Who knows? I'm not going to over think it!
    Last edited by Adam Franklin; 10-09-2017 at 03:54 PM.

I agree with Adam. The max calculators really don't work for me, I'm better at heavier singles than I am at reps.

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

I absolutely think it's possible and realistic--my 500 pull was when I had a 440x4, and I almost certainly had another 20-30 lbs in me.

But one thing you'll have to keep in mind--and something I didn't really appreciate until I started doing it--is that singles are a different animal from rep work...you can't just do reps, then suddenly decide one day to do a max effort single and expect it to be decent...if all you're doing is rep work, your single probably won't be substantially higher than your reps at first. So you'll have to plan doubles and singles into your training as you approach the meet to train your neurological system to handle the task. This will require some type of intermediate program with periodization, which I wouldn't worry about until you've exhausted your LP gains, which seem to be going really nicely right now.

Good luck, hoss...I'm rooting for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Brodie Butland View Post
    But one thing you'll have to keep in mind--and something I didn't really appreciate until I started doing it--is that singles are a different animal from rep work...you can't just do reps, then suddenly decide one day to do a max effort single and expect it to be decent...if all you're doing is rep work, your single probably won't be substantially higher than your reps at first. So you'll have to plan doubles and singles into your training as you approach the meet to train your neurological system to handle the task. This will require some type of intermediate program with periodization, which I wouldn't worry about until you've exhausted your LP gains, which seem to be going really nicely right now.
    This.

I'm 7 weeks into the bridge and just started doing singles last week and triples this week for the first. My Deadlift single @8 was 405 while my best 5@8 is somewhere around 365. Press is even closer, I'm assuming because form plays more of a crucial role: 165x1@8 vs 145x5@8. Granted I could've just fucked all of my calculations up, not pushed myself, etc. But I imagine that even if corrected for that, it wouldn't have shot up my deadlift to 455, 465, or 475, and likewise for the press. Handling circa maximum weights is a different animal indeed.

Look into Dr squats "Fred Hatfield" 80 day peaking cycle. If anything will prepare you for your short term goals in that time period, that will. It's a alot of work, it's not regulara y you will not be happy with me in about 4 weeks if you dive into it, but if you do it right you will get a big pr on your deadlifts, maybe. A little one in the squats and you won't get weaker on bench.
    It will also teach you what a load and taper feels like and why you don't do it all year long.

It is also best if you have very realistic recent 1 rm to base the training on.

Quote Originally Posted by grand666 View Post
    Hi,

I started this week to implement the first method of Advanced Novice programming to squeeze out more numbers on the bar. I'm doing a top set of 5s for squats then 2 back-off sets at 5% reduction. Deadlifts was suggested to be on Wednesdays first so that I'm fresh and can continue to get 5 reps out, with one back-off set.

In theory, it looks like my LP is running good. Am I too ambitious to squat 405 and pull 500 for 1RM by December based on my numbers?
    Will my gains stall too quick and I might have to push the goal out a bit? I know people are different, there isn't a hard and true answer, just looking for folks with experience and opinions.

When I stall again I'll implement the second method which is 3x3 on squats, and if deads max out too, top set of 3-5, then two back-off sets as was suggested to me.
    Third method will be to do the 3x3 and less frequency, exactly like PP suggests. In theory, it works and I think it'll happen.

Current lifts:

Squat: 1x5 @ 345lbs, 2x5 @ 325lbs
    Deadlift: 1x5 @ 420 (last one was 2x3 @ 425 but I'm not supposed to do that)

Bench and OHP got late starts due to my shoulders and my coaching sessions, working through the rehab of them before I go on LP with bench and OHP.

Stats:
    Male
    6'4
    243lbs
    31yo

If there are opinions on how how to taper towards my "max PR" day that would be appreciated too. After that I"ll switch to HLM for sure.
    The singles by the end of the year are likely achievable, but may require more of a peaking program which would interfere somewhat with your overall medium term progress. If I was trying to hit a single PR by a deadline but did not want to completely reset my training I would add singles to my training sessions, starting with something 10 lbs heavier than my working weight.

As far as the deadlift time between reps, I think you will progress better if you exhale fully after the rep, take a deep breath, set your back and pull. Standing around bent over holding the bar is wasting energy. Letting go and standing up between reps is breaking the set into 5 singles with short rest, which is still good but is different from a set of 5.

Quote Originally Posted by grand666 View Post
    How much time passes between your Deadlift reps? I feel like my thumbs combined with the weight, I'm starting to take like 20 to 30s between reps. I know you're not supposed to at the risk of them becoming singles, but fuck, it's heavy.
    I hook my last set or two of warm-ups and reverse grip on my work set. Doing it this way I only pause long enough to take a breath and set my back between reps. If your thumbs are becoming a problem, you could always try that strategy. I'm at a 500 1rm right now, and I have to say I was more excited when I got 495. Slapping on that 5th wheel was a good feeling.

Good luck with your goal. You're heavier and taller than me, so you might pull it off. I found that I slowed down around 475 and had to get more patient in my programming.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by djoksimo View Post
    I feel you on the hook grip. Oddly enough 425 didn't bother me as much as 420 did (420 felt like it absolutely flattened them lol). Went back and watched... I'm about 3 or so seconds between reps, I definitely find the longer I hang out the harder it gets. You sure its actually 20+ seconds? My experience has been that perception of time slows way down during heavy sets lol...
    You might be right on this one. I mostly try to give my thumbs some room to breathe. I shook a bit on rep 4 with my 430lbs pull last week. I wonder if it's coz my thumbs are getting so flattened that my body doesn't want to lift the damn weight. I tried to strap the last rep but it didn't work.

Best of luck to you! I'll add that the first time I pulled 500lb, my 5RM was right around 400lb.
    Interesting. When I do 450lbs for 3 or so, I could in theory try 500lb.

My squat MOnday was 350lbs for 5RM then backoff sets. Wonder if 405lbs is not that far off actually.

I agree with Adam. The max calculators really don't work for me, I'm better at heavier singles than I am at reps.
    Feels like me. I get so gassed it's ridiculous. Now you guys are making me think about when to attempt a 500lbs pull.

I absolutely think it's possible and realistic--my 500 pull was when I had a 440x4, and I almost certainly had another 20-30 lbs in me.

Good luck, hoss...I'm rooting for you!
    So my previous comment is moot. Given my gains right now and progress, would it make sense to do a top double of let's say 450lbs, then back off set at 405lbs, then another back off set at 375lbs or so? My 500lbs goal is for when i'm at the end of my LP gains, but if I need some max effort work in there to make the body ready for it then i'll have to program it in right now.

The singles by the end of the year are likely achievable, but may require more of a peaking program which would interfere somewhat with your overall medium term progress. If I was trying to hit a single PR by a deadline but did not want to completely reset my training I would add singles to my training sessions, starting with something 10 lbs heavier than my working weight.

As far as the deadlift time between reps, I think you will progress better if you exhale fully after the rep, take a deep breath, set your back and pull. Standing around bent over holding the bar is wasting energy. Letting go and standing up between reps is breaking the set into 5 singles with short rest, which is still good but is different from a set of 5.
    Would it make sense to do this instead:

Right now I do 435lbs x 5; 390lbs x 5. Then when that stalls, doa top set of 3 or 4, then two back off sets at -10%.

Switch to a top single/double of let's say 445lbs, then two back off sets?

Thanks for all the comments so far! I'm rethinking my programming yet again.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast