starting strength gym
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 500lbs Deadlift, 405lbs Squat goal by December...

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    What is your true max Deadlift right now?

Quote Originally Posted by Meshuggah View Post
    What is your true max Deadlift right now?
    I don't know my 1RM. I'm pulling 435 x 5 today for the top set. Then 395 x 5 for the back-off.

Quote Originally Posted by grand666 View Post
    I don't know my 1RM. I'm pulling 435 x 5 today for the top set. Then 395 x 5 for the back-off.
    Then I would say you can definitely pull 450. Here is a tried and true short cycle to go from 450 to 500. Keep the assistance work to a minimum.
    For recovery, I like to Deadlift on Saturday and then Squat 2 days later on Tuesday.

Week #1) 3X3 @ 420
    Week #2) 3X3 @ 440
    Week #3) 3X3 @ 400 (easy week)
    Week #4) 3X3 @ 450
    Week #5) 3X3 @ 460
    Week #6) 3X3 @ 400 (easy week)
    Week #7) Warmup sensibly and join the 500 pound Deadlift Club.

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

Quote Originally Posted by grand666 View Post
    So my previous comment is moot. Given my gains right now and progress, would it make sense to do a top double of let's say 450lbs, then back off set at 405lbs, then another back off set at 375lbs or so? My 500lbs goal is for when i'm at the end of my LP gains, but if I need some max effort work in there to make the body ready for it then i'll have to program it in right now.
    Without writing an entire program, here's what I would consider--note that these are for your heavy squat, deadlift, and bench sets. Let's assume your meet is December 4 (probably not, but for illustration).

Oct 16 (Week 1): Still use normal fahve worksets on advanced novice

Week 2: Still fahves on advanced novice

Week 3: Two ramping sets of 3's or 4's, followed by one or two backoff sets of the same number of reps. At this point we aren't doing advanced novice any more...we're instead looking for weekly progress.

Week 4: Two ramping doubles, followed by one or two backoffs for reps (I personally like 4's for this)

Week 5: Two ramping singles, followed by one or two backoffs for reps (I personally like 3's for this) The singles should be hard, but not maximal.

Week 6: Two ramping singles, followed by one or two backoffs for reps

Week 7: Light meet prep week - work up to a single in your openers and call it quits. Don't try to set PRs here and fuck up your meet.

If your meet is later in December, then you can run advanced novice for the additional weeks. I would use a rep percentage chart to help you pick weights, since it can be a little hard to transition from rep work to singles work solely based on feeling. The idea is that your estimated 1RM will increase each week (regardless of whether you're doing fahves or singles) leading up to the penultimate week. By the time you get to the penultimate week you should have a reasonable idea of what a good opener would be and what a good second attempt will be. The third attempt you can play by ear depending on how the second attempt goes.

Also keep in mind that this is merely a suggested template based on a meet coming up pretty soon...others may have different ideas that would work just as well or better for you.

Then I would say you can definitely pull 450. Here is a tried and true short cycle to go from 450 to 500. Keep the assistance work to a minimum.
    For recovery, I like to Deadlift on Saturday and then Squat 2 days later on Tuesday.

Week #1) 3X3 @ 420
    Week #2) 3X3 @ 440
    Week #3) 3X3 @ 400 (easy week)
    Week #4) 3X3 @ 450
    Week #5) 3X3 @ 460
    Week #6) 3X3 @ 400 (easy week)
    Week #7) Warmup sensibly and join the 500 pound Deadlift Club.
    Thanks man. So if my date that I want to pull 500lbs and squat 405lbs is December 29th, would I start this program also for squats, keeping my current programming schedule of H, L, H and just do the triples for three sets like you outlined? No extra volume work and the rest of the program stays the same?

For example, my Monday would be Squat 3x3 @ 365lbs
    Wednesday I'd pull 3x3 @ 440lbs.
    Friday I'd Squat again 3x3 @ 370lbs?

Brodie,

Thanks for your reply man. I need to clarify something though to make sure I get it.

Without writing an entire program, here's what I would consider--note that these are for your heavy squat, deadlift, and bench sets. Let's assume your meet is December 4 (probably not, but for illustration).

Oct 16 (Week 1): Still use normal fahve worksets on advanced novice

Week 2: Still fahves on advanced novice
    So continue on my Advanced Novice programming as is I'm assuming. Nothing changes.

Week 3: Two ramping sets of 3's or 4's, followed by one or two backoff sets of the same number of reps. At this point we aren't doing advanced novice any more...we're instead looking for weekly progress.

Week 4: Two ramping doubles, followed by one or two backoffs for reps (I personally like 4's for this)

Week 5: Two ramping singles, followed by one or two backoffs for reps (I personally like 3's for this) The singles should be hard, but not maximal.

Week 6: Two ramping singles, followed by one or two backoffs for reps

Week 7: Light meet prep week - work up to a single in your openers and call it quits. Don't try to set PRs here and fuck up your meet.
    Week 3 comment: Two ramping sets you mean just two top sets of four reps? So for example(squats), 2x4 @ 365lbs; 2x4 @ 330lbs (~10% less)?

Week 4 comment: This means 2x2 then 2x4 at -10% of the 2x2?

I don't mean to complicate it, just clarifying I understand what you guys mean. I'm shooting for December 29th but if I can do this earlier I would. Do I stick to Advanced Novice until 8 weeks out from Dec 29th, or say fuck it and start now?

My latest numbers for reference:

Squat: 1x5 @ 355lbs; 2x5 @ 335lbs (heavy as fuck right now)
    Bench: 3x5 @ 215lbs (shoulder issues that I worked out with a coach, bench suck)
    Deadlift: 1x5 @ 430lbs; 1x5 @ 385lbs (last week)
    OHP: 3x5 @ 135lbs.

It's a Deadlift Cycle, you are on your own with the squats. I've never squatted more than once a week.

Grand, with your current numbers you might be able to hit both those goals for 1 rep maxes like next workout.

Quote Originally Posted by Briks42 View Post
    Grand, with your current numbers you might be able to hit both those goals for 1 rep maxes like next workout.
    500lbs, I doubt it man. My squat might be closer but it's still 50lbs away.

You've got the squat no doubt. Instead of 360x5 for your top set next workout, do 380x3. Then the following week do 405x1. It's a lock. The deadlift I think you are probably 10-15 pounds away but might not be a bad idea to find out and then you'll have a max to plug into any deadlift program you wanna run to get that last bit to 500. Again, id do a triple this week for your top set (450x3 probably) then the following week try a single at 485 or 490.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Briks42 View Post
    You've got the squat no doubt. Instead of 360x5 for your top set next workout, do 380x3. Then the following week do 405x1. It's a lock. The deadlift I think you are probably 10-15 pounds away but might not be a bad idea to find out and then you'll have a max to plug into any deadlift program you wanna run to get that last bit to 500. Again, id do a triple this week for your top set (450x3 probably) then the following week try a single at 485 or 490.
    Based on the comments here so far, it sounds like I"m close on squats and about 6 - 7 weeks out to pull 500lbs. My LP is slowing down a lot, I barely got my 5th rep on my top set of squats Monday at 355lbs, and I missed my 5th rep on Deads yesterday. I had no gas left and bar just moved an inch and stopped.

I think my LP gains are good and if I keep my press and bench on LP, but change up the program to peak for my 1RM attempts then I'll be good. So based on my current program, would I do the 1x3 top set for squats on MOnday and Friday still with back off sets, then my deadlift would program what Meshuggah outlined over 7 weeks?

Sample program for the first two weeks based on my numbers:

Week 1
    Monday Wednesday Friday
    Sq: 1x3 @ 360lbs; 2x5 @ 330lbs DL: 3x3 @ 420lbs; 1x5 @ 385lbs Sq: 1x3 @ 370lbs; 2x5 @ 340lbs
    OHP: 3x5 @ 140lbs B: 3x5 @ 225lbs OHP: 3x5 @ 142.5lbs
    Chins Sq(light): 2x5 @ 270lbs Rows: 3x8

Week 2

Monday Wednesday Friday
    Sq: 1x2 @ 380lbs; 2x5 @ 330lbs DL: 3x3 @ 440lbs; 1x5 @ 390lbs Sq: 1x2 @ 390lbs; 2x5 @ 340lbs
    B: 3x5 @ 230lbs OHP: 3x5 @ 145lbs B: 3x5 @ 235lbs

Week 3 Squat 1RM on Monday, light Deadlift week

Monday Wednesday Friday
    Sq: 1RM attempt at 405lbs DL: 3x3 @ 400lbs (light week) Now what? Continue with 3x3 like in PP, or continue the 1x3 top set and back off sets until I stall?
    B: 3x5 @ 230lbs OHP: 3x5 @ 145lbs B: 3x5 @ 235lbs

Then continue the Deadlift progression outlined by Meshuggah.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast