starting strength gym
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 500lbs Deadlift, 405lbs Squat goal by December...

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by grand666 View Post
    Brodie,

Thanks for your reply man. I need to clarify something though to make sure I get it.

Week 3 comment: Two ramping sets you mean just two top sets of four reps? So for example(squats), 2x4 @ 365lbs; 2x4 @ 330lbs (~10% less)?
    No, I mean two increasing sets...the first set you'll want to have about two reps left in the tank if you really pushed, and the second set you'll want one rep left in the tank if you really pushed. So let's assume that if you did 365x4, you'd probably have one rep left if you grinded it out. Then your ramping sets will look something like 345x4, 365x4, followed by one or two backoff sets off the 365. For backoffs, I usually took off 10% then rounded up...so if it were 365, backoffs would be at 330.

Week 4 comment: This means 2x2 then 2x4 at -10% of the 2x2?
    Same as above, except you're using doubles instead of fourves.

I don't mean to complicate it, just clarifying I understand what you guys mean. I'm shooting for December 29th but if I can do this earlier I would. Do I stick to Advanced Novice until 8 weeks out from Dec 29th, or say fuck it and start now?
    If your meet is Dec 29, you could easily run advanced novice an additional two weeks from what I gave you. And that's probably what I'd do, since you'll make faster progress on advanced novice than you will a meet tapering regimen, and then you'll have more base strength when you start doing lower rep work. Plus you don't want to peak too early.

Also, to echo a previous post...I think right now you would have 405 on the squat after a couple weeks of training singles and you're probably close to 500. After a few more weeks of rep work, I think you'll easily hit 405 squat and 500 deadlift on your second attempt.

Thanks Brodie. I registered for the seminar in Wichita Falls on Dec 8 - 10th. I think tailoring my program for those dates, to hit the PRs, is a good idea. (unless i can't do PRs that day I'm not sure how the seminars work).

Monday's top set of 5 for squats at 355lbs was hard as fuck. I almost didn't get the 5th rep. Wednesday I didn't get my 5th rep on 435lbs and still did the back off at 390lbs for 5 reps. I was doing well on my program and now it feels like I'm hitting a big ass brick wall. I'll see how my 360lbs squat goes today.

I registered for the seminar in Wichita Falls on Dec 8 - 10th. I think tailoring my program for those dates, to hit the PRs, is a good idea. (unless i can't do PRs that day I'm not sure how the seminars work).
    You should not be setting PRs at the seminar. Expect to do submaximal 3x5s on the lifts (a set of 5 for deads). The "so what" is the platform coaches will be correcting your technique. If you are squatting a max set of anything, you will not be receptive to new cues.

Sorry to dash you hopes of setting PRs at the seminar, but you will learn a lot, so you got that going for you!

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Franklin View Post
    You should not be setting PRs at the seminar. Expect to do submaximal 3x5s on the lifts (a set of 5 for deads). The "so what" is the platform coaches will be correcting your technique. If you are squatting a max set of anything, you will not be receptive to new cues.

Sorry to dash you hopes of setting PRs at the seminar, but you will learn a lot, so you got that going for you!
    Yeah, this. At the seminar you'll have to do three sets of five, so unless your 5RM is equal to your 5x3, it ain't happening. Some folks PR at seminars, but they typically are novices or have a very severe form flaw.

I would shoot for something heavy but not ball-breaking...within 90% of your 5RM. Treat the seminar as a learning experience, and use it to make your training more effective afterwards. PRs are exciting, but they have their place...remember, you're playing the long game here, not sprinting.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Franklin View Post

Not gonna lie, I was excited for about 3hrs and now I'm not anymore. It'll be learning only then, sadly.

I would shoot for something heavy but not ball-breaking...within 90% of your 5RM. Treat the seminar as a learning experience, and use it to make your training more effective afterwards. PRs are exciting, but they have their place...remember, you're playing the long game here, not sprinting.
    I sent you a DM earlier. My weights are so heavy right now that I would like to start thinking about a taper program for Dec 29th then. My top set of 5 on Mondays and Fridays are heavy as hell. And I missed my 5th rep on Deads Wednesday. This week I'm still on the Advanced Novice according to Adams' reply to my programming question in another thread.

Monday's top set of 5 for squats at 355lbs was hard as fuck. I almost didn't get the 5th rep.
    With the squats, be sure to record your sets. "Almost didn't get it" may look a LOT faster when you review it. Also, eat a bunch if you feel like you're going to get stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_R View Post
    With the squats, be sure to record your sets. "Almost didn't get it" may look a LOT faster when you review it. Also, eat a bunch if you feel like you're going to get stuck.
    At 6'4 it felt like it never was gonna come up. I'm training a girl and asked her to watch the speed, when it stops to let me know so I can put it down. I never know if it's moving or not, maybe just perception like you said. I thought I was gonna put it down but she kept saying it's moving slowly so I kept at it. I'm surprised I didn't pass out.

At 6'4 it felt like it never was gonna come up. I'm training a girl and asked her to watch the speed, when it stops to let me know so I can put it down. I never know if it's moving or not, maybe just perception like you said. I thought I was gonna put it down but she kept saying it's moving slowly so I kept at it. I'm surprised I didn't pass out.
    Happened to me on my fifth rep of a 192.5 press... felt like a dead stop but video showed it was creeping. Frustrated that I didn't stick with it just a bit longer...

Quote Originally Posted by djoksimo View Post
    Happened to me on my fifth rep of a 192.5 press... felt like a dead stop but video showed it was creeping. Frustrated that I didn't stick with it just a bit longer...
    Yeah man she said it was barely moving on the 4th. probably wouldn't have gotten the 5th one. I'm gonna video tape my top set today at 365lbs and look. Sometimes I feel like a gasket is gonna blow.

starting strength coach development program
    Hi,

I started this week to implement the first method of Advanced Novice programming to squeeze out more numbers on the bar. I'm doing a top set of 5s for squats then 2 back-off sets at 5% reduction. Deadlifts was suggested to be on Wednesdays first so that I'm fresh and can continue to get 5 reps out, with one back-off set.

In theory, it looks like my LP is running good. Am I too ambitious to squat 405 and pull 500 for 1RM by December based on my numbers?
    Will my gains stall too quick and I might have to push the goal out a bit? I know people are different, there isn't a hard and true answer, just looking for folks with experience and opinions.

When I stall again I'll implement the second method which is 3x3 on squats, and if deads max out too, top set of 3-5, then two back-off sets as was suggested to me.
    Third method will be to do the 3x3 and less frequency, exactly like PP suggests. In theory, it works and I think it'll happen.

Current lifts:

Squat: 1x5 @ 345lbs, 2x5 @ 325lbs
    Deadlift: 1x5 @ 420 (last one was 2x3 @ 425 but I'm not supposed to do that)

Bench and OHP got late starts due to my shoulders and my coaching sessions, working through the rehab of them before I go on LP with bench and OHP.

Stats:
    Male
    6'4
    243lbs
    31yo

If there are opinions on how how to taper towards my "max PR" day that would be appreciated too. After that I"ll switch to HLM for sure.
    Have you tried splitting your deadlift into halting deadlift and rack pull? It worked for me i went from 172kg x5 to 182kg x5 in 4 weeks, i was stuck at 172 for 3 weeks. I am doing it again halting deadlift one week and rack pull the next week. As your squat gets heavy your back is getting more tired and needs more time for recovery, splitting you deadlift will help you add more pounds to your deadlift and squat as well.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234