starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 500lbs Deadlift, 405lbs Squat goal by December...

Default 500lbs Deadlift, 405lbs Squat goal by December...

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi,

I started this week to implement the first method of Advanced Novice programming to squeeze out more numbers on the bar. I'm doing a top set of 5s for squats then 2 back-off sets at 5% reduction. Deadlifts was suggested to be on Wednesdays first so that I'm fresh and can continue to get 5 reps out, with one back-off set.

In theory, it looks like my LP is running good. Am I too ambitious to squat 405 and pull 500 for 1RM by December based on my numbers?
    Will my gains stall too quick and I might have to push the goal out a bit? I know people are different, there isn't a hard and true answer, just looking for folks with experience and opinions.

When I stall again I'll implement the second method which is 3x3 on squats, and if deads max out too, top set of 3-5, then two back-off sets as was suggested to me.
    Third method will be to do the 3x3 and less frequency, exactly like PP suggests. In theory, it works and I think it'll happen.

Current lifts:

Squat: 1x5 @ 345lbs, 2x5 @ 325lbs
    Deadlift: 1x5 @ 420 (last one was 2x3 @ 425 but I'm not supposed to do that)

Bench and OHP got late starts due to my shoulders and my coaching sessions, working through the rehab of them before I go on LP with bench and OHP.

Stats:
    Male
    6'4
    243lbs
    31yo

If there are opinions on how how to taper towards my "max PR" day that would be appreciated too. After that I"ll switch to HLM for sure.

Thread talking about my programming.

My SS Training Log.

Let me know if I left anything out. It's amazing to do LP as prescribed after my surgery and finally fixing my shoulder problems. Base strength was higher when I started.

There are only 88 days left in 2017, those goals (especially the Deadlift) might be a little unrealistic. Good luck, I hope you prove me wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Meshuggah View Post
    There are only 88 days left in 2017, those goals (especially the Deadlift) might be a little unrealistic. Good luck, I hope you prove me wrong.
    The deadlift slows down a lot once it's heavy as fuck?

There goes my xmas present to myself.

Quote Originally Posted by grand666 View Post
    The deadlift slows down a lot once it's heavy as fuck?

There goes my xmas present to myself.
    Don't just throw in the towel, go after your goals! Conceive, Believe, Achieve

Quote Originally Posted by Meshuggah View Post
    Don't just throw in the towel, go after your goals! Conceive, Believe, Achieve
    Nah I'm pushing the shit out of it. Staying steady at 243lbs is the goal (don't want to become a fatty, already gained 18lbs from 225lbs).

I just need 1 rep on both. Can't be that hard...in theory.

You and I are almost the same person at the moment...

M
    6'1"
    232lbs
    30 years old

Last Squat 365x3x2
    Last Deadlift 420x5x1 (today is a 425 attempt)

Same goals of a 405 1RM and a 500 1RM by the end of December...

My log is here if you wanted to nose through it: GET STRONG: The Intermediate Ramblings of an Amateur Strongman

Let's get after it dude!

Quote Originally Posted by djoksimo View Post
    You and I are almost the same person at the moment...

M
    6'1"
    232lbs
    30 years old

Last Squat 365x3x2
    Last Deadlift 420x5x1 (today is a 425 attempt)

Same goals of a 405 1RM and a 500 1RM by the end of December...

My log is here if you wanted to nose through it: GET STRONG: The Intermediate Ramblings of an Amateur Strongman

Let's get after it dude!
    Hell yeah man good luck. I bookmarked your log. Mine is HERE

I hook my Deads and my thumbs are starting to get pissed off on the 3rd and 4th rep. Yesterday I tried to put straps on for the 5th rep but I couldn't get the fucking left one on and just through them down. Pulled anyway.

How much time passes between your Deadlift reps? I feel like my thumbs combined with the weight, I'm starting to take like 20 to 30s between reps. I know you're not supposed to at the risk of them becoming singles, but fuck, it's heavy.

December 29th is tentatively when I'm planning on doing my PRs.

Quote Originally Posted by grand666 View Post
    Hell yeah man good luck. I bookmarked your log. Mine is HERE

I hook my Deads and my thumbs are starting to get pissed off on the 3rd and 4th rep. Yesterday I tried to put straps on for the 5th rep but I couldn't get the fucking left one on and just through them down. Pulled anyway.

How much time passes between your Deadlift reps? I feel like my thumbs combined with the weight, I'm starting to take like 20 to 30s between reps. I know you're not supposed to at the risk of them becoming singles, but fuck, it's heavy.

December 29th is tentatively when I'm planning on doing my PRs.
    I feel you on the hook grip. Oddly enough 425 didn't bother me as much as 420 did (420 felt like it absolutely flattened them lol). Went back and watched... I'm about 3 or so seconds between reps, I definitely find the longer I hang out the harder it gets. You sure its actually 20+ seconds? My experience has been that perception of time slows way down during heavy sets lol...

starting strength coach development program
    Best of luck to you! I'll add that the first time I pulled 500lb, my 5RM was right around 400lb.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast