starting strength gym

Thread: Dumbbell shoulder press - both shoulders at the same time or in turns?

Default Dumbbell shoulder press - both shoulders at the same time or in turns?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    All - I would like to supplement barbell shoulder press (which I do at the gym) with dumbbell work. I have bought the Rogue loadable dumbbells for this purpose. My question is: should I aim to work the shoulders both at the same time (so, two dumbbells), or can I work alternatively (one set on the L shoulder, then one set on the right, rest, repeat). What are the issues to keep in mind?

(Reason for asking the question: I would need to buy more small plates if I were to use 2 dumbbells at the same time. I'm OK with that if it's necessary but it's worth asking first...)

You can really do it either way. Its assistance work, so you're really just getting the volume in. I've done alternating in the past due to having only one loadable handle and no other dumbbells.

Alternating sides will require more lateral stabilization of the trunk due to the asymmetrical loading.
    Last edited by Ben Patterson; 10-07-2017 at 08:50 AM.

I actually prefer One Arm Presses as a main lift, but KettleBells are my tool of choice.

Thank you guys. That means I don't need to buy more plates (for a while...) :-)

I like one arm for the oblique work it provides. Not huge of course, but an angle most of us don't work very much.