starting strength gym

Thread: Anyone training in St Paul, MN?

Default Anyone training in St Paul, MN?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Just checking to see if anyone would want to do a one-off training session together for some SS form support, rah-rahing, and all that. I did a couple of forum searches for references to MN and didn't get much so here I am.

I currently train at my local YMCA (east saiiiide) where there is one half squat rack and no one else who low bar squats or doesn't bounce deadlifts off the floor, let alone press (I've never seen anyone do a press). So I would love to do some work around another SS disciple or two. It looks like there's a black iron gym close by in Maplewood that lacks SS coaches but has a reasonable drop-in rate (I use the Y for the childcare and the pool). Or I could come to your gym.

Oh and in case you're worried about me being a total noob with shitty lifts, I'm at 305 squat, 350 deadlift, 205 bench, 140 press. I've got a lot to learn but would love to meet up with another barbell enthusiast. Thanks.

You're WAY stronger than I am, but my excuse is age! I'm in Minneapolis, male, 6' 4", 218 lbs, age 72. I've been lifting for about a year, currently on a HLM 3-day per week routine. Squat is 215, bench is 150, deadlift is 235, 95 press. FWIW, I'm working to arrange a coaching session with Nick Klemetson in Waverly, IA (the nearest SSC). As far as gyms go, Los Campeones (2 locations in Mpls) is lifting-centric, though not a card-carrying member of the SS family. Nice people, though, and good lifting setup. I'm currently training solo at the neighborhood Anytime Fitness (two half-racks).

Barbells at 72! That's great, and I'm hoping I will still be at it then too. I'm 35 and almost two years into my barbell journey, but there have been breaks for house projects, winter colds, a baby, so I still have much to gain.

I was in touch with Nick about a session in the cities here but he's not headed this way anytime soon so I'm getting by with the forum for now. It's pretty tough to get away as a stay at home dad with two small boys. I will be traveling to Austin TX for thxgiving and see there is a newly minted ssc there so I may try to see her instead.

Anyway, depending on schedules etc I would still enjoy meeting up for a session if you'd want. I suppose there's a way to send a private message on this forum?

MN has good lifting scenes in general. I imagine that if you're careful about how you choose (don't get someone skinny) you'll be able to find a good trainer at American Strength or Los Campiones- it might be more helpful to have someone you can see on the semi regular than rare chances to see exactly what you want.

If you ever want to learn the fast lifts, Twin City Barbell weightlifting club trains at American now.

Recently traveled for work to Minneapolis. Stopped by Los Campaniones on Blaisdell Ave. A positive experience for a $15 day pass.

Plenty of racks, decent barbells, and chalk. Also had showers (FYI for those who are traveling).

Ah, still can't edit posts. We walked a couple blocks to an area with a bunch of foreign cuisines. Ended up at Pimento Jamaican Kitchen, its was delicious.

starting strength coach development program
    I live in St Paul and work at U of M, so I go to the gym there. Running TM

I actually met up with Danny Raimondi at Los Campeones on Sunday and lifted with him.

Los Campeones is legit, but I personally find it too loud and full of too much sumo