starting strength gym

Thread: Need for plywood section vs rolled rubber flooring throughout

Default Need for plywood section vs rolled rubber flooring throughout

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    So building out my home gym. Options were stall mats vs regupol flooring. We decided to go with 3/8 inch regupol flooring throughout. Should I consider putting in a section of plywood to create a platform? Its my home gym so no one else will be lifting in there but me (I guess my kids when they are old enough). Also I plan to invest in bumper plates with the rack I purchase so I don't think there should be much impact to the concrete underneath. Just wanted to make sure I am good or if anyone has done this and regretted it. From what I have read, typically the recommendations on the forum are to get bumper plates as well as some kind of flooring to protect concrete. just wanted some opinions on my specific setup.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by naperthrill View Post
    So building out my home gym. Options were stall mats vs regupol flooring. We decided to go with 3/8 inch regupol flooring throughout. Should I consider putting in a section of plywood to create a platform? Its my home gym so no one else will be lifting in there but me (I guess my kids when they are old enough). Also I plan to invest in bumper plates with the rack I purchase so I don't think there should be much impact to the concrete underneath. Just wanted to make sure I am good or if anyone has done this and regretted it. From what I have read, typically the recommendations on the forum are to get bumper plates as well as some kind of flooring to protect concrete. just wanted some opinions on my specific setup.

Thanks!
    I use 8mm rubber flooring and bumpers. Works great.

Quote Originally Posted by naperthrill View Post

Thanks!
    If you're not doing Oly lifts yet, I don't think you would need the plywood section. It makes Oly lifts a bit nicer for moving the feet quickly, but as an amateur, it's probably not a big deal. Your concrete will be fine. I would just go with the rubber flooring throughout if I were you. That's gonna be real nice. Congrats