starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1 Month in, things are starting to get heavy...What next?

Default 1 Month in, things are starting to get heavy...What next?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey all,

So, I'm almost a month into NLP SS and am stalling or things are just starting to get interesting. I thought I started light enough or underestimated how much strength I lose during a cut. I am currently at 213lbs (from 219, 3 weeks). I am just getting to where I need to start adding in power cleans (starting Monday), I'm not struggling on my deadlifts but could use a little break weekly to do PCs. Here are my lifts when I started and where I am today.

Started 9/25:
    S: 135x5
    P: 95x5
    D: 145x5
    B: 155x5

Today: 10/13:
    S: 215x5 (Starting to lose form, felt pretty heavy today)
    P: 100x5 (I attempted 105 today but could only get up 2 and had to deload to 95 and still struggled. Should I add in other workouts to strengthen these lifts or no? What next?
    D: 215x5 (These feel fine and think I have a few more workouts in me)
    B: 170x5 (I say 170 but these weren't full reps so probably more comfortable at 165 for reps)

I know my lifts have went up a bit, I was just thinking I had a couple/few more weeks in me. Should I consider a deload for press, bench and possibly squats while increasing on my deads and adding in PCs for the next week?

Thanks,

Rich

Stop cutting.

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    Stop cutting.
    Or stop LPing and keep cutting. Just pick one for now and you can get to the other later.

And order 1.25 plates for your presses.

1. If you're cutting you're not doing the program.
    2. Telling us your height and age is much more useful than just listing your weight.

Quote Originally Posted by crc View Post
    That's not necessarily true

Quote Originally Posted by DodgerDog View Post
    That's not necessarily true
    In what circumstance is a 213 pound guy who has lost 6 pounds during LP in his first - no wait, almost - a month actually doing the program? That's why I asked about age (in case he's 60) and height (in case he's super short). If he's barely doing his own bodyweight for 5s on squats after a month of training, he shouldn't be thinking about 'cutting'.

Suggestions on a program when cutting? Definitely need to cut down body fat at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by NCuba View Post
    Or stop LPing and keep cutting. Just pick one for now and you can get to the other later.

And order 1.25 plates for your presses.

Oops, Thought I posted age and height. 5'7 35yo next month.

2. Telling us your height and age is much more useful than just listing your weight.

Have to cut at this time to get BF% down. Suggestions on a program while cutting and maintaining strength? age 35/5'7

In what circumstance is a 213 pound guy who has lost 6 pounds during LP in his first - no wait, almost - a month actually doing the program? That's why I asked about age (in case he's 60) and height (in case he's super short). If he's barely doing his own bodyweight for 5s on squats after a month of training, he shouldn't be thinking about 'cutting'.

starting strength coach development program
    Worst outcome is you bomb out of your diet AND lifting, and your body weight bounces back up without even any gains.

Keep lifting 3x a week to stay in that habit, same lifts/freq as LP. Stay at the weights you're at now but take steps to limit how taxing the workout is. First cut sxr to 3x4, and then to either 3x3 or 2x4 once that's even too much. Could also start alternating S/DL instead of having days where you'd hit both. Drop the weight on bar a little when needed. You're going to have a lot of hard reps so get used to successfully doing those. Also take the opportunity to start recording all your sets and improving your form.

And keep losing 1-2 lbs a week!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast