starting strength gym

Thread: SS substitute for the squat

Default SS substitute for the squat

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi all! I'm new to the forum. I've been running SS for one month or so. I used to squat on the smith machine because in my gym there is no rack, but i've read that squating on the smith is lesive and its better to stay away from it. I have some ideas on how to work the lower body, what do you think about these (in order of what I think its best):
    1. Do Goblet Squats instead and follow a diferent progression
    2. Do some kind of unilateral work that doesn't require you to put the BB on your back (Lunges, Pistols, etc)
    3. Do a clean before each set and do front squats (i probably have a bad technique on the clean, so I don't know if it would work. The weight would be also limited to my clean ability)
    4. Do some kind of deficit DL or snatch grip DL instead of squats (3x a week and 3x5)
    5. Do leg presses
    6. ... (any ideas?)

As I have little experience on lifting weights, I prefer to listen to someone who knows more than me. What do you think could work the best?

And please don't say the typical "go to another gym", i would do if i could. The gym where I go is the only one in my town and as I'm 15 I can't go to somewhere else.

Sorry if there are some grammatical mistakes, i'm not proficient with english.

had a thread on this exact same thing recently:

Squat substitute

Just do the best you can with the leg press, the Smith machine, and deadlifts. Eventually you will be in a position where you have access to a squat rack. You are 15 and already know about strength training. That is a huge advantage. Do what you can and enjoy the ride.

Thanks! What do you think about hack squats?