starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rogue HG Bumpers much wider than Echos?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by quaw View Post
    If you look at the pictures of the echos and HGs where it visually shows the thickness dimensions you will notice that the echos are beveled and the measurement seems to be at this narrower part.

I just enlarged that page to 300% and it indeed looks like that they are measuring that narrower edge not the full width. At this magnification you can see that the HGs are also beveled but significantly less so.

Rouge should really measure the plate thickness where it counts which of course is the thickest thickness
    I bought a complete set of echos during last year's black friday sale. (Also bought an monster light squat stand, a bench, and b&r bar).
    Anyway, Here's what Rouge lists as thickness and what I just measured (including the bevel):

Wt Rogue List My Measurement - total diameter, including bevel (+/- .125" approx)
    10 .85" 1"
    15 1.1" 1.25"
    25 1.5" 1.75"
    35 1.9" 2.375"
    45 2.4" 3.125"

So, obviously quite a big difference and a bit misleading. I didn't look at the fact that they were measuring the bevel when I bought the plates.
    But it really doesn't matter too much for me as I won't be loading the bar with 4 or 5 45lb bumpers (I bought some metal plates).

Looking at the HGs, it looks like they may be measuring the entire width of the plate, not just to the bevels. Even then, they may still be a bit thicker, but not by much.
    The HGs are a bit prettier, as they have that nice shiny finish.

BTW: Some months ago I noticed that bevel for the first time and why it's good: It makes loading bumpers a bit easier if the bar is sitting on the floor with a load already in place. Kinda nice.

Regardless. They work great as dead weight on my bar for most of my lifts and on the (rare) occasion that I do cleans, they work great. Lifetime purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by irongeek View Post
    I bought a complete set of echos during last year's black friday sale. (Also bought an monster light squat stand, a bench, and b&r bar).
    Anyway, Here's what Rouge lists as thickness and what I just measured (including the bevel):

Wt Rogue List My Measurement - total diameter, including bevel (+/- .125" approx)
    10 .85" 1"
    15 1.1" 1.25"
    25 1.5" 1.75"
    35 1.9" 2.375"
    45 2.4" 3.125"

So, obviously quite a big difference and a bit misleading. I didn't look at the fact that they were measuring the bevel when I bought the plates.
    But it really doesn't matter too much for me as I won't be loading the bar with 4 or 5 45lb bumpers (I bought some metal plates).

Looking at the HGs, it looks like they may be measuring the entire width of the plate, not just to the bevels. Even then, they may still be a bit thicker, but not by much.
    The HGs are a bit prettier, as they have that nice shiny finish.

BTW: Some months ago I noticed that bevel for the first time and why it's good: It makes loading bumpers a bit easier if the bar is sitting on the floor with a load already in place. Kinda nice.

Regardless. They work great as dead weight on my bar for most of my lifts and on the (rare) occasion that I do cleans, they work great. Lifetime purchase.
    Thanks for the info. Looks like the "mystery" is solved.

I had just about decided on buying the echos. Looks like I will do so.

What sort of Black Friday sale does Rouge run? Looking to get the B&R bar and the R3. I can wait for the R3 but it would be nice to get the bar sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by quaw View Post
    Thanks for the info. Looks like the "mystery" is solved.

I had just about decided on buying the echos. Looks like I will do so.

What sort of Black Friday sale does Rouge run? Looking to get the B&R bar and the R3. I can wait for the R3 but it would be nice to get the bar sooner.
    The biggest discount on black friday is the free shipping - Especially important when buying heavy and bulky things - like racks, plates, and bars.
    They also will have a series of special deals that will be active for a short time only during the black friday week.

I was shopping for a few weeks before my purchase and went back and forth between rogue and elitefts. Ended up just getting everything from rogue since I planned on a b&r bar and would have to buy from them anyway. The stuff showed up in just a few days - I pity the delivery driver!

I don't regret the purchase one bit. The bar, especially, is a real keeper. Once you get used to it, everything else will seem substandard.

my echo 45's must be a different batch. there aren't even close to 2.5" in width.

Quote Originally Posted by irongeek View Post
    The biggest discount on black friday is the free shipping - Especially important when buying heavy and bulky things - like racks, plates, and bars.
    They also will have a series of special deals that will be active for a short time only during the black friday week.

I was shopping for a few weeks before my purchase and went back and forth between rogue and elitefts. Ended up just getting everything from rogue since I planned on a b&r bar and would have to buy from them anyway. The stuff showed up in just a few days - I pity the delivery driver!

I don't regret the purchase one bit. The bar, especially, is a real keeper. Once you get used to it, everything else will seem substandard.
    Yeah the standard Rogue Black Friday sale is "Any 5 in-stock items for $5 shipped", and it can get pretty sweet if you need heavy stuff like a power rack, ghd, weights, bar, kettlebells, etc. I saved a ton last year when I bought my power rack and small add-ons.

Quote Originally Posted by thejosef View Post
    Yeah the standard Rogue Black Friday sale is "Any 5 in-stock items for $5 shipped", and it can get pretty sweet if you need heavy stuff like a power rack, ghd, weights, bar, kettlebells, etc. I saved a ton last year when I bought my power rack and small add-ons.
    When you guys say "shipping" are you talking about shipping and freight? I assume something like a welded rack has a pretty expensive freight charge.

I'm in the same boat waiting for some deals to come across. I say a note from Elitefts they will be starting deals ahead of Black Friday.

I'm trying to decide between Elitefts and Rogue.

Quote Originally Posted by n517rv View Post
    When you guys say "shipping" are you talking about shipping and freight? I assume something like a welded rack has a pretty expensive freight charge.

I'm in the same boat waiting for some deals to come across. I say a note from Elitefts they will be starting deals ahead of Black Friday.

I'm trying to decide between Elitefts and Rogue.
    Shipping/freight.. same thing for Rogue on Black Friday. I bought a Monster rack and it came via freight truck with my other 4 items wrapped up on the crate.. all for $5 shipped. Pretty insane, really, that they can afford to do that and still profit.

I'm thinking about getting a full gym setup which will run me around 5k and it looks like they already have free shipping anyways for the sum. Is there any benefit to waiting for BF? Do they give anything off the products at all?

Quote Originally Posted by timelinex View Post
    I'm thinking about getting a full gym setup which will run me around 5k and it looks like they already have free shipping anyways for the sum. Is there any benefit to waiting for BF? Do they give anything off the products at all?
    NICE! They have random power racks, bars, shoes, etc. that are anywhere from 5-20% off give or take. The racks are generally black, so if you want a custom color, they probably won't have sales on those. BF is only a few weeks away now. I would wait if I were you.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by thejosef View Post
    NICE! They have random power racks, bars, shoes, etc. that are anywhere from 5-20% off give or take. The racks are generally black, so if you want a custom color, they probably won't have sales on those. BF is only a few weeks away now. I would wait if I were you.
    Yea, I will probably wait. I'm just not sure how their stock is during those types of sales.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast