starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back off or move forward? Thoughts please

Default Back off or move forward? Thoughts please

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello everyone!

I've been doing the Starting Strength program for about 2 months and I feel I'm doing well. I've been working out most of my life with and without injuries. My question is, I'm 50 and I know "things" don't move/heal as quickly as they once did and I'm at a point of uncertainty. Would I be safer dropping down a bit , staying or continue progressing in weight?

Currently, my stats are as follows:
    5ft 8in@ approx 213lbs
    Squat - 355lbs@ 3x5 (Hard, but felt good, generally speaking)
    Press - 115lbs@ 3x5 (Feels good)
    Power Clean - 155lbs@ 5x3 (Still feels good, though feeling the weight)
    Bench - 190lbs@ 3x5 (Taking this one slow, due to past shoulder issues, but no pain currently)
    Deadlift - 305lbs@ 1x4 (Failed to perform the set of 5; bad form, tired, lower back just didn't feel right)

The biggest reason for my question is because my hip flexors are very sore (pretty sure my form was off).
    I'm really enjoying the program, it's been giving me goals to look forward to.

Thanks!
    Vaughn

Post a form video.

If you are able to add weight to the bar (5 pounds on squat, 2.5 on bench and press, 5-10 on deadlift), then continue with the program. If things are feeling grueling then you can add a light squat day in the middle of your work at 60%-80% of your Day 1 weight. Post a form video so we can see if your hip flexor soreness is due to a form issue. It often is due to too vertical of shins and not setting the knees. This is an issue that I had. Also checking depth is always a good idea. Other than that, keep chugging along.

I will take your guys advice and try to get someone in the gym to record my sets and go from there. I also think the “easier day” might be what I need, I start becoming anxious knowing I’m lifting more each day and that might help calm the nerves.

Quote Originally Posted by vaughnharrigan View Post
    I start becoming anxious knowing I’m lifting more each day and that might help calm the nerves.
    Being anxious before a lift is normal especially on LP where each workout is a new max. Don't back off just because you're not sure that you can do it. Pick up a couple 2.5 plates, feel how light that is? That's how much more it's going to be than the weight you successfully did the last time. Get under the bar and do it.

It is also useful to bring warm-up singles into your training. For example, I am close to your weight on the squat and will do 45x5x2, 135x5, 225x3, 285x2, 315x1, and even 330x1 prior to going to 355. This helps get used to the weight on the bar as it gets heavier. At this point in the LP, if you aren't anxious about the lift I would be thinking that i must be easy for you!

And don't worry about finding someone to record for you. Grab a bench, put your street shoe on it and shove your phone in there to record.

Bad form could certainly be an issue with a particular muscle or joint bothering you. Check that first.

You never want to deliberately stop trying to add weight to the bar, but there may in fact, be plenty of other programming adjustments to be made to feel less beat up, but while continuing to drive progress. The light squat day suggestion above is one. I'd definitely try that after sorting any form issues, which could require a temporary drop in weight to sort out.

Thank you all for the advice and encouragement. Today was a great workout. Focused on my form extensively and just generally felt good going into it.
    Hit all my numbers with no pain!

starting strength coach development program
    2 months in is where it starts getting hard. Make sure your recovery is on point and follow the tips in barbell medicine for running out the NLP at 50.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast