starting strength gym
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Black Friday/Christmas Wish List Thread

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I want another barbell. It's nice to have 2 barbells so my son and I can lift together with hooks set at different heights and using different weights without unloading all the time. I have one quality bar (Rogue Chan) that I got used with my used rack. I have picked up 3 crappy bars with some used plate purchases. 1 of those 3 is scrap metal and 1 is only marginally better. The 3rd one will have to do until I find the right deal on a better bar, even if it is just the Cap OB86B. In the non-essential category I would put a deadlift jack and a monolift attachment on the wish list as well.

Quote Originally Posted by The Flush View Post
    I want another barbell. It's nice to have 2 barbells so my son and I can lift together with hooks set at different heights and using different weights without unloading all the time. I have one quality bar (Rogue Chan) that I got used with my used rack. I have picked up 3 crappy bars with some used plate purchases. 1 of those 3 is scrap metal and 1 is only marginally better. The 3rd one will have to do until I find the right deal on a better bar, even if it is just the Cap OB86B. In the non-essential category I would put a deadlift jack and a monolift attachment on the wish list as well.
    One of my best (and very inexpensive) purchases was a mini deadlift jack. It saves time and your back while adding/removing weight during deads. It was around 40 or 50, which is not that big of a spend. I believe I got it from Rogue, but I but them and or EliteFTS will have a sale where you could get that at a discount. I think you need one if you are over three plates a side for reps, and it becomes a must have once you start getting beyond four plates.

Can anyone explain how someone uses a monolift if they are lifting alone? On bench or squats, either one would be great. It sounds like a great idea, but my current old-school rack is incompatible with anything out in the market.

I'm putting together a home gym and after extensive research (which, let's face it is half the fun!) I am buying American despite being in the U.K.!

Performance Series Power Station | Legend Fitness

It's not the cheapest but they do have the half rack or the power rack (which comes without the plate storage) which are cheaper.

For anyone in the U.K. you can get Legend equipment from absoluteperformance.co.uk. May also want to consider ATX racks (more expensive) or Barbarian (cheaper option) from www.gymrevolution.co.uk. I bought the ATX ram bar and flat bench from the latter after going down to Nailsea and trying them out - Matt is a good guy.

Also in the middle of sorting out calibrated plates from Rogue - first half of them turned up scratched to bits and then half of the replacements were the Olympic plates. To be fair they are sorting it all out.

Quote Originally Posted by beastmaster103 View Post
    Can anyone explain how someone uses a monolift if they are lifting alone? On bench or squats, either one would be great. It sounds like a great idea, but my current old-school rack is incompatible with anything out in the market.
    YouTube

Hoping Titan puts their new Hefty Pad Bench on a good sale. Could also use another pair of 45 bumpers.

I'm going to outfit a homegym so I've got quite a few things on the list:
    1. Power Rack: Either a Rogue RML-3 bolt together with 30 working space, safety strap upgrades, sandwich J cup upgrades and multiple grip pullup bar or Rep Fitness PR-5000 with strap safety upgrades. I really like the look of Rep's product but I have not seen much feedback so I'm a little reluctant to be the guinea pig. Depends on what happens on BF but I think I'd save about $200 on the Rep Rack.
    2. Barbell: SS Rogue Ohio Bar
    3. Weights: Around 500lbs of Troy Deep Dish from adamant.
    4. Bench: Rogue Monster utility bend with Thompson fat pad (custom 17.5' height)
    5. Miscellaneous: Weight Tree, Farmer Walk Handles, Plyo boxes 12' and 18' (box squat and step ups), OSO clamps and some Lockjaw knockoffs

I'm debating getting some monolifts but will probably wait to later to add these.

Quote Originally Posted by Leprechaun View Post
    1. Power Rack: Either a Rogue RML-3 bolt together with 30 working space, safety strap upgrades, sandwich J cup upgrades and multiple grip pullup bar or Rep Fitness PR-5000 with strap safety upgrades. I really like the look of Rep's product but I have not seen much feedback so I'm a little reluctant to be the guinea pig. Depends on what happens on BF but I think I'd save about $200 on the Rep Rack.
    4. Bench: Rogue Monster utility bend with Thompson fat pad (custom 17.5' height)
    5. Miscellaneous: Weight Tree, Farmer Walk Handles, Plyo boxes 12' and 18' (box squat and step ups), OSO clamps and some Lockjaw knockoffs

I'm debating getting some monolifts but will probably wait to later to add these.
    Great list. /\ Can't go wrong with that Rogue rack. I owned one and it's pretty much all anyone would ever need. The Rep is tempting as it's a lot of bang for the buck. The owner at Rep is pretty cool.. He's on BB.com a lot and seems to really care about the products and customer feedback. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Rep product.
    I have the SS Ohio bar and I think it's one of the best barbells on the market. Knurl is perfect. I've owned a LOT of bars and I won't be getting rid of this one.

1. I really want a Duffalo bar, but just can't see spending $500+ on one when I don't even have shoulder pain. It's just a cool 'concept' and everyone I know that has one absolutely loves the thing.
    2. Garmin Fenix 5. Lol. To track everything.. training, running, hiking, etc. I'll pick one up if i find a really good deal.. maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Leprechaun View Post

What made you decide on the Troy plates? I've been thinking replacing all my junker plates, and have found York Legacy plates directly from York to be the best deal by far. I'd really like the Rogue lb Calibrated Plates, but can't really justify spending that much.

Quote Originally Posted by thejosef View Post
    Great list. /\ Can't go wrong with that Rogue rack. I owned one and it's pretty much all anyone would ever need. The Rep is tempting as it's a lot of bang for the buck. The owner at Rep is pretty cool.. He's on BB.com a lot and seems to really care about the products and customer feedback. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Rep product.
    I have the SS Ohio bar and I think it's one of the best barbells on the market. Knurl is perfect. I've owned a LOT of bars and I won't be getting rid of this one.

1. I really want a Duffalo bar, but just can't see spending $500+ on one when I don't even have shoulder pain. It's just a cool 'concept' and everyone I know that has one absolutely loves the thing.
    2. Garmin Fenix 5. Lol. To track everything.. training, running, hiking, etc. I'll pick one up if i find a really good deal.. maybe.
    Thanks, being researching for the last couple of months and that's what I came up with. I have a Garmin 920XT and love it. Would really love the Fenix 5 but can't justify the purchase as the 920 meets all my current needs.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkMarkMark View Post
    What made you decide on the Troy plates? I've been thinking replacing all my junker plates, and have found York Legacy plates directly from York to be the best deal by far. I'd really like the Rogue lb Calibrated Plates, but can't really justify spending that much.
    I've looked at the York Legacy plates too and I think the Troy plates are slightly better and they usually go on sale for Black Friday 20% off (1.33/pound including shipping). I think the York's are similar price when they're on sale.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob-UK View Post
    I'm putting together a home gym and after extensive research (which, let's face it is half the fun!) I am buying American despite being in the U.K.!

Performance Series Power Station | Legend Fitness

It's not the cheapest but they do have the half rack or the power rack (which comes without the plate storage) which are cheaper.

For anyone in the U.K. you can get Legend equipment from absoluteperformance.co.uk. May also want to consider ATX racks (more expensive) or Barbarian (cheaper option) from www.gymrevolution.co.uk. I bought the ATX ram bar and flat bench from the latter after going down to Nailsea and trying them out - Matt is a good guy.

Also in the middle of sorting out calibrated plates from Rogue - first half of them turned up scratched to bits and then half of the replacements were the Olympic plates. To be fair they are sorting it all out.
    The saga continues! At least you don't need the plates for a while so it's not holding you up. Still a pain in the neck though.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast