starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What are some reasonable numbers I could reach?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by JLB105 View Post
    Me:
    Male, 43yrs old, 6’1, 255lbs.

Current #’s for worksets of 5 (8 weeks into NLP).

Squats 225lb (just reset a bit to fix form issue, feel like I’m back on track, 5lb jumps still).

Deadlift 245lb (corrected form issues, 245 felt good, will be doing 10lb jumps)

Bench 195lb, still doing 5lb jumps. Based on past history, I think I’ll need smaller jumps around 220/225.

Press 125, just started 2.5lb micro loading.

What are reasonable numbers I could expect in say 1 year or 2 years?

My goals (all for 5 rep work sets)
    Squat 405lbs
    Deadlift 500lbs
    Bench 315lbs
    Press 225lbs

I realize there are a ton of variables involved, just curious at what people would say is reasonable. I consider myself an ectomorph, I’ve always put on both fat and muscle somewhat easily.
    Those presses at 3x5 and 500x5 DL would be multiyear goals.

If we said no, would it stop you from trying?

A more reasonable approach would your goal weights for a 1 rep max.

Quote Originally Posted by Dlk93 View Post
    If we said no, would it stop you from trying?
    If you said no to what? Because I didn’t ask any specific question. Or did you just come here to poo?

If you said no to what? Because I didn’t ask any specific question. Or did you just come here to poo?
    Sorry about that, it was hastily worded. If we said that the goals you've set for yourself were not going to be achieved within the allotted period of time of 1-2 years, would that prevent you from trying to obtain them?

Yeah you really need to see how far your LP takes you and ask then. But to pull something out my ass I'd guess if things go well those numbers are possible 1RM after a year, possible 5RM after two.

But that's the best case. I bet most people who start an LP aren't really training a year later, let alone two. And most of those who are end up shifting their frame of reference away from worksets of fives. Biggest thing you can do to get there quickly is to successfully ingrain the habit and be resilient when things go wrong (they will).

Quote Originally Posted by Mugaaz View Post
    No one can answer these type of questions. The numbers seem aggressive for 5rep work sets. For 1RM, it can probably be done.
    That's what I was thinking also.

If we said your numbers weren't reasonable. FWIW I think his tone was meant as, "regardless of what you're told here, go get it." (i.e. encouragement)

I also realize your intention (since I have the same questions), which is more to make sure you haven't set a really unrealistic goal which will just end in disappointment. Again, having looked at a lot of logs myself, there are definitely people who have claimed their 1-2 year progress got them as far as you want to get. Although I will say, the other thing I've learned having looked at a lot of logs and forum posts is that progress is different for everyone. So while I'm not saying you won't hit those numbers in under 2 years, I might suggest changing your "goals" to not include time constraints. Because, this (#2): 2 Random Pieces of Training Wisdom – Andy Baker

I'm 43, 6'3", 235 lbs, started SS when I was 38 or 39. Those goals seem lofty imo. Maybe with a coach you see regularly and dedication and good luck with injuries. The best I got was 400x5 deadlift about 2 years ago before herniating a disc. Then a year ago I was cramming food going up to 240 and managed to hit 315x5 back squat before once again herniating discs. Never had back problems in my life before weightlifting. Now I pause front squat for 225x5 and sumo deadlift 235x5...still fat 25-30%, strength gains still a struggle eating reasonably clean 250g protein per day and plenty of sleep. Good luck though I don't regret the experience, as frustrating as it has been.

starting strength coach development program
    Forgot the torn rotator cuff from benching. Never broke 225. Maybe one day.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast