starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: High heart rate when training

Default High heart rate when training

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey guys I'm new to the program, training and the forum, I'm in the process of reading the book beginning to end but have a general understanding of the lifts and program itself, so please forgive me if I ask anything that would be obvious had I finished the book already

I'm a 230 lbs ish, ~35% bodyfat 20 yr old male currently about a month into training (I know I should have finished the book by now but I got lazy, working on that now) while on a caloric deficit to try and lose fat while retaining lean mass and gaining strength, here are my lifts so far, all for 3x5:

Deadlift: 95kg / 209lbs
    Squat: 90kg / 198
    Bench press: 55kg / 121lbs
    Press: 30kg / 66lbs

Haven't started power cleans yet intend to soon. I have practiced form very carefully and think I have good form across the previous 4 exercises but will post a form check soon

I'm concerned about my heart rate when training. My heart quite easily gets to about 150 to 160 when lightly exerting myself, and has peaked at about 198 when heavily exerting myself with heavy lifts or intense cardio. It tends to hover around the mid 180s to 190 generally when training at an average, tough but doable intensity.

Is this safe? I don't tend to experience light headedness or numbness or any of the things people usually say to watch out for if your hearts going faster than it can handle, I just feel very exerted, feel my heart pounding and am breathing very heavily. Nausea will come to me far before feeling lightheaded if I've really gone too far.

Also in addition to wondering if this is safe, I wanted to ask if this is something that could be reasonably linked to just being extremely deconditioned and not something worse? The reason I'm in the shape I am now is because I previously spent many years extremely depressed, sedentary and eating junk, I did very little physical activity for a long time and my muscles now get very sore just from walking around and doing day to day things, and I think it's why my heart is as out of shape as it is

Sorry I dont know how to edit a post from phone, I meant to add that deadlift is obviously not for 3x5 it's for 1x5

Heart rate is directly coupled to conditioning. As you train your resting heart rate will drop and with it the amount of exertion required to significantly elevate it will drop. Peak heart rate can be estimated as 220-age so your 198 isn’t out of reason.

Another factor to watch is your recovery heart rate. Peaking under exertion is expected. But if it stays high for a long time when at rest then you might have a problem.

If you are concern, see your doctor and have them run a 12 lead EKG. They may also want to do a stress test it probably not at your age.

Good on you for taking action. Wish I had taken fitness seriously before I hit 52.

Amount of exertion to raise heart rate will also rise, not drop.

What Kevin said.

Also, how long are you resting between sets?

I'm 67 and I am routinely at 85% + of my MHR when I lift, even with 3-5 minutes of rest between sets. I wear a heart rate monitor and usually wait for my heart rate to drop below 110 bpm before starting my next set.

Also, do you undertake any conditioning training? Because that too will tend to down regulate your heart rate. It doesn't have to be anything heroic or use a prowler, simply walking works well.

Some hearts beat faster than others. It's always worth getting a medical check up before embarking on any kind of activity, particularly if over 40, but other than that, the heart will just do its thing. If you begin to feel seriously ill, have chest/shoulder pain then you know something is up, but until then, if you are feeling good, it's all working as it should.

Thanks for the swift responses guys, and for the encouragement Kevin

My recovery is generally a bit on the slow side too but nothing ridiculous I don't think, within up to 10 mins if my heart has spiked really high it'll be back to relatively normal levels, but obviously also before 10 mins it may have recovered a large enough amount to move onto my next set or something. Generally wait as long as I can between sets but I have a gym buddy who tends to make me feel a bit rushed. Usually wait anywhere from 2 to 5 mins between sets, but often closer to 2.

At the moment Mark I only do 1 short session of HIIT each week after my midweek resistance training workout to work on both fat loss and improving my cardiovascular health. I used to try more mild cardio for longer stretches of time more often, like 30 mins of walking/jogging twice a week, but quickly found it really inhibited my recovery time in terms of strength and energy so I dropped it, at least for now. The muscle pain and fatigue can be quite debilitating at times, and I found myself a couple weeks ago feeling as though my legs were more of a limiting factor than my cardiovascular system. I felt like I could still keep running, but my shins and calves were just burning up too badly at around the 8 min mark.

I may talk to the doctor soon about getting some kind of heart or fitness checks just to see where I stand

At your bodyfat%, you may want to consider prioritizing weight loss over maximum strength gain, ie entering a caloric deficit and possibly add a cardio session or two in to your training--that should help out with the HR thing as well.

Also, make sure you've read this article:
    https://startingstrength.com/article...n_rippetoe.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Trashboat View Post
    Generally wait as long as I can between sets but I have a gym buddy who tends to make me feel a bit rushed. Usually wait anywhere from 2 to 5 mins between sets, but often closer to 2.
    He is him and you are you. If he feels compelled to jump in for another set, fine. But follow what works best for you. If that's every other set of your buddy, so be it.

At the moment Mark I only do 1 short session of HIIT each week after my midweek resistance training workout to work on both fat loss and improving my cardiovascular health. I used to try more mild cardio for longer stretches of time more often, like 30 mins of walking/jogging twice a week, but quickly found it really inhibited my recovery time in terms of strength and energy so I dropped it, at least for now. The muscle pain and fatigue can be quite debilitating at times, and I found myself a couple weeks ago feeling as though my legs were more of a limiting factor than my cardiovascular system. I felt like I could still keep running, but my shins and calves were just burning up too badly at around the 8 min mark.
    This is probably the source of your concern. One session a week of HIIT is not enough, especially for a young guy. Two, or at the very most 3 sessions for around 15 to 20 minutes a week are adequate without diminishing your strength gains. If 2 HIIT sessions seem too much, go with 1 and some low intensity steady state (LISS) for a few other sessions a week to allow for good recovery.

I may talk to the doctor soon about getting some kind of heart or fitness checks just to see where I stand
    Do that. It's generally a good idea to get a solid metric to assess where you are and maybe what you need to do for improvement.

starting strength coach development program
    Usually wait anywhere from 2 to 5 mins between sets, but often closer to 2.
    This might work for a couple of weeks on a linear progression but it will become inadequate very quickly. When you are lifting your focus is getting stronger. If that takes longer (like 5, 8, or even 10 min) you have to prioritize strength. If you want to work cardio find a way to do it other than shortening your rest on heavy squats.

The muscle pain and fatigue can be quite debilitating at times, and I found myself a couple weeks ago feeling as though my legs were more of a limiting factor than my cardiovascular system. I felt like I could still keep running, but my shins and calves were just burning up too badly at around the 8 min mark.
    In your earlier post you mentioned your BF% but not your weight. If you are a heavy guy, steady state runs may not be appropriate for you. Try cycling, rowing, swimming or something else.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast