starting strength gym

Thread: Do these numbers look right?

Default Do these numbers look right?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Sorry i'm a Brit so all our weights are in KG.

Body weight
    175l / 80kg (fluctuates up to 82kg sometimes)

Height
    5'7 Feet

Squat
    293.215lb / 133kg

Deadlift

374.786lb / 170kg

Bench

170lb / 77kg

Overhead Press

105.822lb / 48kg

Pendlay Rows

196.211lb /89kg

Seems like all my upper body lifts are completely out of sync with the lower body lifts, is this normal? I definitely prefer Squating + Deadlifting to Overhead press and bench press.

I've even tried Dave Tates bench press set up:

YouTube

I've been working Dips into the starting strength routine in order to increase

I such a noob i cant even find the edit button.

Age 26

Working the dips and pull ups into the routine in a mad attempt to increase the upper body lifts

How long have you've been training? What's your current program?

Current program is basic Starting strength done in a rather lazy way so 3 sets of 5

Squat
    Bench
    Dead

Squat
    Overhead
    Pendlay

Probably been training properly for 16 - 18 Months

You've been doing SS for 16-18 months?

Why are you doing rows?
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

YNDTP

So let's address some stuff here. First of all, when you say that you have been training properly does that mean that you have been on Starting Strength for 16-18 months or that you have been performing some form of resistance training for that period? Starting Strength will not last you 16-18 months and is most certainly not intended to. If someone were capable of running starting strength for that period of time, they would have added around 600 pounds to their squat. This is obviously not possible. So if you could give us that answer that would be great.

Also, I wouldn't worry about your exact numbers while on Starting Strength. As long as things are moving along nicely, it's fine. Drop the rows, though and if you don't want to clean just do a lighter deadlift variation. Your upper body lifts are fine.

I've been on Starting Strength for 4 months, working with a coach for 3 and my lifts are below:

Squat: 355x5x3
    Bench: 192.5x1, 182.5x5x3,
    Press: 152.5x4,5,5
    Deadlift: 235x5x2 (form issues)

The press is surprisingly technical and many people struggle with it and/or start and end at lighter weights than some of their peers. As long as you are making the regular progress on each lift individually, you're fine.

Yeah your number breakdown is pretty typical.

Quite a few people have a deadlift that's a fair amount (~100 lbs/30%) beyond their squat.

Pretty much everyone has an OHP 60-70% of their BP.

And a lot of people on SSLP have OHP/BP that are relatively low compared to their S/DL. You've got the right idea about adding dips, since increased pushing volume is an easy to implement step toward addressing this that works for many.

Good luck!

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the feedback - been progressing slowly due to an insufficent calorie intake to begin with - for the first few months i was not drinking enough milk/ eating enough and just taking things slowly - as it stands i have people admiring my squat and deadlift at the gym ha ha but it is more of a bodybuilding gym i go to.

I'm now eating alot and also drinking 4 pints of whole milk a day (i think if i did full gomad i would feel sick at work and be using the bathroom constantly).

I've always followed starting strength as prescribed in this old Bodybuilding.com thread:
    Guide to Novice Barbell Training, aka the Official RIPPETOE-STARTING STRENGTH FAQ - Bodybuilding.com Forums

Clearly i have more reading to do.

My understanding it SS is over once the following numbers are achieved:

1 1/2 x Body weight squat - TICK
    2 X Body weight Deadlift - TICK
    1 x Body weight Bench - X - This has been frustrating as i attempted to increase my calorie intake which shot me up to 83 kg in body weight (nuts + yogurt at my desk) but i didn't see a huge increase in the bench and felt fat as shit). I would say the bench has not progressed for the last 4 - 6 Months

My brother however was able to attain a body weight bench press with the addition of heavy dumbbell curls on his rest days. I know dumbbell curls have a cringe reputation however. I also chalk it up to him also being younger and broader than me.

I think i will try to get a video of my bench tonight.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Pucknell View Post
    Hi everyone,

Thanks for the feedback - been progressing slowly due to an insufficent calorie intake to begin with - for the first few months i was not drinking enough milk/ eating enough and just taking things slowly - as it stands i have people admiring my squat and deadlift at the gym ha ha but it is more of a bodybuilding gym i go to.

I'm now eating alot and also drinking 4 pints of whole milk a day (i think if i did full gomad i would feel sick at work and be using the bathroom constantly).

I've always followed starting strength as prescribed in this old Bodybuilding.com thread:
    Guide to Novice Barbell Training, aka the Official RIPPETOE-STARTING STRENGTH FAQ - Bodybuilding.com Forums

Clearly i have more reading to do.

My understanding it SS is over once the following numbers are achieved:

1 1/2 x Body weight squat - TICK
    2 X Body weight Deadlift - TICK
    1 x Body weight Bench - X - This has been frustrating as i attempted to increase my calorie intake which shot me up to 83 kg in body weight (nuts + yogurt at my desk) but i didn't see a huge increase in the bench and felt fat as shit). I would say the bench has not progressed for the last 4 - 6 Months

My brother however was able to attain a body weight bench press with the addition of heavy dumbbell curls on his rest days. I know dumbbell curls have a cringe reputation however. I also chalk it up to him also being younger and broader than me.

I think i will try to get a video of my bench tonight.
    Wow. There is a lot of misinformation in that old thread if that's what you think the program is about. Blue book is definitely in order.