starting strength gym
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Lose weight before starting?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by billb7581 View Post
    I find it hard to get into the groove with an empty bar... squats especially.

DL you at least need some bumper plates to arrive at the right bar height.
    10 lb bumpers ordered just for this reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Bean438 View Post
    23 year history of lower back issues. Gotta make it sure it is absolutely perfect. At least the squat and deadlift.

I’m also buying a new bench. Who knew that you actually had to place your feet on the ground? And why on earth would a manufacturer produce a bench that’s 21” off the ground?
    Wow. 21" is way up there. I realized this was contributing factor to my wife's back pain. Even though our bench is 18", she is about 5'2" and very petite, and it was painful for her to bench press. We now put yoga blocks under her feet and it keeps her back happy. Hopefully, the new lower bench will work well for you.

I ended up benching for years with my feet up on the bench. Everything local was 19” and higher.
    My bench also has a weird horse shoe base at the feet, as well as it sticks out a few inches because it has an insert for a leg curl and preacher curl attachment. I’m unable to put plates on the floor. Even if I could, 21” is too high. Plates would still “bring” the bench down to 19”.

I was gonna go cheap and get the bells of steel China made bench. 225 all in to my door. It’s yellow with the traditional pad material.

I’m now thinking elitefts dumbbell bolt together bench. Looks like it’s built like a tank, it the right specs, and the gripper pad is supposed to be real nice. 420 All in to my door.

Buy once, cry once. May as well enjoy everything about the bench, not just the specs right?

I think the reason the too-tall benches are so high, is to make clearance for the knee extension/curl gizmo. Probably any single-function bench you find will be the standard 17" high.

That makes total sense. Over my head.
    Just to clarify I could not find a dumbbell type bench under 19” locally. Actually there was one but it had welded foot pegs that possibly could get in the way.

I literally just ordered the fts bench. Cheap shipping in the US. I live an hour from the border and will pick it up.

Hey Bean438, I am 46, 5'10" and 260lb myself. I know it can be tough, the struggle is real when the media and magazines say we are supposed to look a certain way. Its even harder when we personally know are bodies are not healthy. It can mess with your head.

I think many on this forum are rooting for you and look forward to hearing about positive progress for you while you are gaining strength so you can live a healthy productive life. Dig in and kick ass.

Sparky

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    I think many on this forum are rooting for you
    Seconded.

IPB

Much appreciated!

My new bench arrives Friday. That gives me the weekend to set the equipment up, and plan out some meals.

Then Monday away we go into full SSLP mode!

Bench is finally in! The bad news? Wicked flu just in time for x mas. Bah.
    I PROMISE when I’m better I WILL start the program.

One last question, it’s nutrition but hopefully simple. What carbs do I eat on non training days, and non pre/post work out? I know oats, rice potato are out. Veggies are in but I’d have to eat tons. So, is it things like lentils? Bananas? Apples? Or no fruit?
    I figured it was lower glycemic stuff but the diabetic web site lists some of the no no’s as good to eat “most of the time”

starting strength coach development program
    Bean,

Here’s my 2 cents worth.

1) do it right. Hire a coach. If there’s not one in your area look at Starting Strength Online Coaching. They just added a nutrition program. It’s worth the money
    2) Watch the platform videos on the SS web site
    3) Figure out what motivates you. I got back under the bar 7/26/17. My plan was twice a week. I never miss a training session. It becomes my motivation for everything else.
    4) managing my diet is mandatory for me. I am a type 2 diabetic so blood glucose is my number 1 concern. Track what you eat. Everything! I use an app. There are several good ones. Find what works for you. Make adjustments you can live with. If I screw up one day on food I just start up again the next day. Strength training builds in a margin of error for me.

Good luck

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast