starting strength gym
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chalk: Do you use it for all lifts?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    DL- always
    Squat- depends on conditions, usually never in WI. I do chalk up at meets.
    OHP- Same as squat
    BP- Same as squat

If it is a really hot day and I am sweating, I will use it.

Best to try it with everything and see what works for you. I find I just use it for deadlifts now, I also try to hold off for as close to the work sets as possible. Sometimes on chins too.

I use liquid chalk,works fine but messy.Next buy is gonna be regular chalk.

I bought chalk from Rogue. Came in blocks. I’m thinking of smashing some of it up into a powder and keeping it in a bucket or bowl.

Is this what you guys do? Any suggesting on how to store it would be great. I’m leaning towards one of those 5 Fallon buckets with some kind of lid / cover with a hole cut out of it. I notice Rogue sells a lid for $16 for this to keep chalk dust from going all over the gym.
    https://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-junk-chalk-toppers

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Davies View Post
    Chalk on my back for low-bar squats helps, if I'm wearing a slippery shirt. No need when doing high-bar or wearing all-cotton.
    Charlie, I imagine you realize that high-bar is not the recommended technique for squats in Staring Strength. Are you a competitive olympic weightlifter? Are you training to squat high-bar in a meet? In any case, stick with low-bar squats. Get massively strong squatting low-bar, and then feel free to experiment with high-bar.

Quote Originally Posted by JLB105 View Post
    I bought chalk from Rogue. Came in blocks. I’m thinking of smashing some of it up into a powder and keeping it in a bucket or bowl.

Is this what you guys do?
    https://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-junk-chalk-toppers
    I use the Rogue blocks too. I keep a block in an old stainless steel mixing bowl; no need to get fancy.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHupfer View Post
    I use the Rogue blocks too. I keep a block in an old stainless steel mixing bowl; no need to get fancy.
    Do you break it up into a power? Or just rub it on your hands like a bar of soap?

Quote Originally Posted by JLB105 View Post
    Do you break it up into a power? Or just rub it on your hands like a bar of soap?
    I just leave it whole and rub it like soap. There is very little waste this way. I bought the 8 pack box back in February, and I just opened the third block a few weeks ago.

Squats and pulls: I chalk my hands for anything over 315. When pulling I have found getting the chalk into the creases between my palm a ring fingers seems to have some skin saving benefit as well.

Also chalk when doing weighted chins or chins in general on really humid days.

I honestly don’t know how one deadlifts without chalk.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by crookedfinger View Post
    I honestly don’t know how one deadlifts without chalk.
    Holy crap is this true. I just used Cahill for the first time ever last week. I’m in NLP and the week before my grip was fixing our on me a little bit at 255lb deadlift. This past week I did 265lbs and used chalk and I had no issues with my grip. I can’t believe how much it helped! I’m a believer now.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast