starting strength gym

Thread: Learning cleans with a tight front rack...

Default Learning cleans with a tight front rack...

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    So I've finally achieved the shoulder mobility (pulling them forward) sufficient to facilitate a nice front rack without ramming the bar through my throat. (long forearms)

I must admit I'm a proud poppa. (I've been working on it.. on and off since August... maybe I suck)

Now the problem... this position only becomes stable with ~135lbs (115 lbs doesn't drive the bar into the delts and it is still supported by the wrists). 135 seems like too much weight to flail around learning the clean?

So my options moving forward (as I understand them):

#1. You're a big guy... just use 135.
    #2. Drop it down to 95 or so and try to keep your wrists loose.
    #3. Add some front squats or other front rack work to keep working it.
    #4. Something else??

Disclaimer: I don't know your exact strength and I I'm not a coach.

When I was taught power cleans (very recently), my 1rm deadlift was 425LB. I was taught the motion with just the bar. Then we added 10s for a few try and then 25s for a few tries. By the end of the 30 min we spent on it, I was on 135LB. So while I did use 10s and 25s, I don't believe they were absolutely necessary and 135 was "easy" enough with the deadlift I had.

Quote Originally Posted by timelinex View Post
    Disclaimer: I don't know your exact strength and I I'm not a coach.

When I was taught power cleans (very recently), my 1rm deadlift was 425LB. I was taught the motion with just the bar. Then we added 10s for a few try and then 25s for a few tries. By the end of the 30 min we spent on it, I was on 135LB. So while I did use 10s and 25s, I don't believe they were absolutely necessary and 135 was "easy" enough with the deadlift I had.
    Right now I can pull about 475lbs on a good day... so 135 should be manageable.

Quote Originally Posted by Pawn View Post
    #1. You're a big guy... just use 135.
    This.
    It's normal to have a minimum weight below which a lift doesn't feel right, and that's true for mos tlifts, not just the PC. I believe there is a member of this forum (Les, aka Callador) who needs something like 220 on the back in order to actually hit depth on the squat.

I would still warm-up with empty bar and some lighter weights, maybe from a hang position.

IPB

Minor update:

I tried 95 lbs as a warmup... too light.

I pulled some with 135 lbs... also too light. (Hit myself in the face with bar)

I will be going at it again today with more weight.