starting strength gym

Thread: Wide Padded Utility Bench (aka Thompson Pad)

Default Wide Padded Utility Bench (aka Thompson Pad)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I'm have a standard utility bench at home - 12" wide pad, 17.5" or so high. I've heard great things about the wider pad and the support provides. If anyone can provide feedback about one they already own, it would be greatly appreciated.

Also, another issue is that the Rogue Monster Pad can be bought as an "add-on" but it increases the bench height to almost 20", which I'm sure will be awkward. Titan has something very similar, but I know very little about it since it is new.

Unrelated to this, I'm leaning towards Titan in regards to the framing of a new power rack, so I've gotten over the prettiness (but pricey) Rogue racks.

Thanks!

Is it wide enough that your upper arm hits it at the bottom of the bench-press movement, thereby making the lift easier? I.e. sort of a compromise between a bench-press and a floor press?

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Davies View Post
    Is it wide enough that your upper arm hits it at the bottom of the bench-press movement, thereby making the lift easier? I.e. sort of a compromise between a bench-press and a floor press?
    I really don't know as I haven't ever benched with one. There are two that I have seen online - standard bench is 12" wide (I believe). These were 14.5" and 15" wide. From what I've read, it is supposed to provide more support with the increased width and thickness of the padding. I'd really love to try one in advance, but it is not very common.

I’m curious about the Thompson fat pad as well. The reviews are off the chart on Rogue.

Quote Originally Posted by JLB105 View Post
    I’m curious about the Thompson fat pad as well. The reviews are off the chart on Rogue.
    I contacted Rogue and asked about customizing the monster bench so that the height is 17.5 or 18". They said it can be done for $47 bucks in addition to the cost of the bench with the Thompson Pad, but it adds a few weeks of lead time as well. I don't really understand why that isn't a standard option to keep the bench height within the powerlifting regs...why would anyone want a reallly high bench??

Titan sells this one at 17.5" height. And for $160, too...

From the reviews, what's good about the wider bench is that your upper arm hits it at the bottom, this giving you a little help off the chest:

Timothy Kadar
    ★★★★★ 5 out of 5 stars. 5 years ago
    Must have for benching
    I benched on the Fat Pad for the first time on Christmas Day. I handled weights in the 97% of my 1 RM easily. It amazes me how much weight is left on the platform because of substandard pads. The pad alone was worth 4% to 5% more weight than I could handle on an 11.5" wide bench. And the surface was very grippy. No sliding at all even without chalk. This is a must half for anyone serious about benching.
    Seems like using one of those slingshot gizmos might be cheaper, and provide a similar benefit.

Rogue just announced the “competition” fat pad. It’s 12.5” wide.

I just got the regular fat pad a few weeks
    Ago. I’m a way I’m glad they didn’t have this option as I would have been neurotic over which one to buy.

starting strength coach development program
    I posted this elsewhere, but I ended up purchasing the thompson fat pad with a retrofitted utility bench from rogue. There was a review on Titan about their bench and it was not so flattering. Needless to say, less than 24 hours later, I checked their site and the review had mysteriously "vanished." Also, there is an article published about the rogue fat pad bench vs. the titan fat pad bench here: Donnie Thompson Fat Pad vs Titan Fat Pad

I think the review speaks for itself. I say buyer beware to the titan imitation.

I can't speak for my new bench as I'm awaiting for Rogue to ship it...they told me it would be 4-8 weeks because of the cutting they had to do on the steel plus the amount of traffic they had due to black matte friday. I'll provide an update when it arrives - I'm excited to see if this is a game changer.