This might help those budding novices who are new to all of this stuff:

1. I'm sure Ripp said not to bother with all those warm ups and just get straight down to pushing the next progression.

No, he didn't say that. He said don't bother with all that stretching and stuff, but to begin greasing the groove by doing warm up sets beginning with the empty bar where possible. Go up in as many stages as needed doing 5 reps. It also helps by adding some volume.

2. Ripp said just keep slinging on 5 or 10lbs every session until you can't grind out anymore progressions and then move to the intermediate program.

No, didn't say that either. He said first to 'follow the program' and then when you get to the point of not being able to progress then it time to move to intermediate. Following the program means getting sufficient rest between between sets, between exercises and between sessions. That, if you are walking around like a zombie then you haven't recovered sufficiently. If you aren't eating enough you aren't going to move those weights. If you are progressing in giant leaps-unless you are a young superman-you will find your technique going to hell and lifting like crap. Then you will be forced to de-load and get real whilst head gremlins mess with your ego.

3. Ripp said 2 minutes between sets.

Again, he didn't say that. He did say 'when you are ready to lift again then add another 2 minutes'. The optimum time is 8 minutes. So, if we are progressing nicely and doing several warm up sets and having the right rest period, then the amount of time in the gym, when coupled with getting ready, shifting weights about etc, extends considerably passed a quick half hour. It's this long extension in time, plus the ever increasing loads with heavier weights that eventually calls time on the NLP - if you are doing the programme.

4. Ripp said read the book it's all in there.

He did say that, but if you are like me, then eventually you give up reading and go down the gym trying to figure out what to do with all this paraphernalia, whilst not appearing to look too clueless and hoping that you don't break something. Every exercise appears very simple and you will be convinced that Ripp was just adding words to extend the book length, but, eventually it becomes clear that there are subtleties that, if not mastered, will eventually become ingrained habits that will be harder to break than giving up drinking/one night stands/smoking-cross out the appropriate one.

Don't go slamming on plates, or your technique will get buried into tortuous survival contortion that will either hurt you, or destroy progress completely. Go back after a session and re-read the subtle parts, take a lot of time to practice them with warm up sets until they feel natural, then go back and re-read the book and even more will be teased out.

I'm guessing most of us will make these mistakes that I have (and that no doubt I will keep making and referring back to the book). This might overcome some of the initial faulty rememberances of things you thought you heard Ripp say.