starting strength gym

Thread: arm tremor between squat worksets?

Default arm tremor between squat worksets?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi, last time I squatted heavy (120kg / 265 lbs -- not quite maximal, but quite enough to wind me) I noticed one arm (left) shook quite violently as I set up my grip on the second and third sets. It wasn't uncontrollable, as I could squeeze the bar and succesfully execute the sets, but it did make me curious. Has anyone else noticed this?

Huh?

How old are you? High bar or low bar? Any neck issues (soreness, pain, hotspots, etc)? This could indicate an impingement of your lower cervical spine...speaking from personal experience with one (C6/7 if memory serves). It can also indicate other things that are generally more age dependent.

Tremors are also common with fatigue which may indicate a form issue that is causing more fatigue on one side vs. the other or it could be due to your handedness (e.g. right handed people tend to be stronger on their right side until training levels that out a bit).

Thanks. I'm 37, been training for nearly a year low-bar. No neck issues, but following an ssc coaching session about 6 months ago i found i needed to dedicate some time to improving shoulder mobility. I am right handed, this is my left arm so could be the strength imbalance.
    Also I do shake sometimed when I'm tired, not just my arm but my whole torso eg. sitting up in bed - had this long before I started training.

Here's a video from last night (Friday) YouTube
    The effect was very mild compared to Monday (so mild you might not detect it! NB I take a firm grip for part of the video, so the shaking stops for that bit), and I didn't have any on Wednesday (light day).

Quote Originally Posted by convergentsum View Post
    Also I do shake sometimed when I'm tired, not just my arm but my whole torso eg. sitting up in bed - had this long before I started training.
    The latter is weird and you should definitely see a doctor about it. Have you? If so, what did they have to say? If not, why not? Also, you should post a picture of the wall art in that gym you were in when you recorded that video because it looks potentially funny.

It is, in a good way! Plenty of character
    I did mention it to my GP, I think they said to keep a diary of it, and I couldn't be bothered to keep one. I should do it though. It's very infrequent outside the gym, less than once per month I'd estimate.

Definitely keep that diary and if it starts becoming more frequent or the duration of the episodes last longer, I’d recommend you seek a referral to a good neurologist...just in case. Better safe than sorry.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin.Imel View Post
    Definitely keep that diary and if it starts becoming more frequent or the duration of the episodes last longer, I’d recommend you seek a referral to a good neurologist...just in case. Better safe than sorry.
    +1. Its just far enough outside the scope of normal that I'd be proactive about it