starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on using cheap bars.

Default Opinions on using cheap bars.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I bought a cheap bar awhile back from a neaghbor at a yard sale. I would not have bought it if they were not new neighbors, but it was 25 bucks.
    I have been thinking of using it for deadlifts and presses. Then leaving my other bar in the rack for squats and bench.

So would a cheap bar be alright for deadlifts and presses?

The quality of the knurling and the thickness of the bar are important for both of those lifts. You could use it as a general beater bar, strapped rack pulls, a corner rower etc, be careful if i has a hex nut on the end, they need to be maintained or they will come apart.

I used only a cheap bar for a couple years. Switched to a 'good' bar and was blown away at the difference, but I flat out failed bench and press with it the first week. Turns out the cheap bar was only 38.5lb... I had always assumed it was 45lb (I mean, it said 45lb). Instead of a 5lb jump that week, it was a 12.5lb jump.

I still have the cheap bar, and use it as an occasional beater. It's bent, has shitty knurling... but I do kinda still like it for presses.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkansan View Post
    I bought a cheap bar awhile back from a neaghbor at a yard sale. I would not have bought it if they were not new neighbors, but it was 25 bucks.
    I have been thinking of using it for deadlifts and presses. Then leaving my other bar in the rack for squats and bench.

So would a cheap bar be alright for deadlifts and presses?
    Don't use it on presses. It could roll at a bad time and land on your head.

The important question is "how shitty is it?" Do you have a picture?
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

It’s pretty cheap, but in good shape. It does have the hex nut ends and it’s a bigger diameter.

I have it sitting in my storage room right now. Only had plans of using it if my other bar crap out on me.

My cheapo bar is straight, so not dangerous to use for pressing. But it's fat and slippery. I used to use it for presses on the back porch when my gym was in the basement.

The last thing I'd ever use that bar for is deadlifts, yuck. I'm holding onto it in case I ever take up rack pulls and need a bar I'm willing to destroy.

Looks like I may just leave it in the storage room. The idea of me using the cheap bar was a lazy one. Thought I could save a few seconds of not having to move the good bar in and out of the rack.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkansan View Post
    Looks like I may just leave it in the storage room. The idea of me using the cheap bar was a lazy one. Thought I could save a few seconds of not having to move the good bar in and out of the rack.
    Hang onto it and use it for rack pulls when the time comes.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

I trained with a crappy bar for years with no issues. Take it apart and give it a good cleaning and lube. That old bar is actually pretty tough and is still used for rack pulls and other abusive lifting.

starting strength coach development program
    I have used a CAP OB-86B for 3 years now and do not have many complaints. I got it on amazon with free shipping. It is easy to maintain and had held up to quite a bit of use.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast