starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would Substituting Inclined Bench for Flat Bench Mean I was Giving a Lot up?

Default Would Substituting Inclined Bench for Flat Bench Mean I was Giving a Lot up?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    So, I strained a pec, 5 weeks ago. After experimenting, I found that inclined bench did not aggravate the injury, so I de-loaded from 3 X 3@250 on flat bench to 185 on inclined, where I am running a linear progression of 3 X 5 and then 1 back off set of -15% of 8-12 reps. I've reached 210 X 5 on my work sets and I realize that I enjoy inclined bench more than I do flat bench. I'm considering switching my bench pressing to inclined and ditching flat bench, at least for a while. My pec. feels fine now.

So, for a general strength trainer in his 40's does making the switch from flat to inclined bench as the primary bench press mean I would be giving a lot up in terms of general strength? I am thinking of running LP out to its end and then going to an intermediate program to try to hit my flat bench PR of 250 for 3 X 3.

FWIW, I am still doing overhead presses HLM programming and have not changed press programming at all.

I had the same sort of thing happen.

I tore my pec doing flat bench. It never healed correctly.
    I would try to LP again, and get to right just before a 270x5. . . . and tenderness and bruising would oocur at the old tear site.

I have done mostly Inclines (BB) and CGBP ever since. . . . some weighted dips.
    None of these bothers my pec. I think I got up to 260x5 on the incline.

I don't think it matters in the grand scheme of things.(that you or I never Bench again)

Incline MIGHT carry over to OHP more IMO.

Incline bench, in my opinion, should be used as either a supplemental lift to the bench/press, or used by those that cannot flat bench. If you can flat bench, I would flat bench as the primary lift. Flat bench allows you to use more weight, so flat benching will make you stronger over time compared to incline.

Generally, flat benching uses more muscle mass than incline (and I think it's easier to configure safeties for flat), but incline barbell presses are better than dumbbell work and way better than nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post
    Incline MIGHT carry over to OHP more IMO.
    I agree with this.

You hit the upper chest, bro!

But seriously, look up Andy Baker's training videos, he explains why he doesn't do much flat benching and trains the incline heavy instead (hint: NOT aggravating an injury).

Sounds like a legit reason to me.

The problem here is that you have a goal of PR-ing your flat bench and you have a pec issue. If that goal is to remain intact I'd probably continue with the inclines as long as they're feeling good and then go back to regular bench super light(almost Starr Protocol light) and slowly work back up. But incline bench will not just suddenly translate over to a flat bench PR

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Arnold View Post
    The problem here is that you have a goal of PR-ing your flat bench and you have a pec issue. If that goal is to remain intact I'd probably continue with the inclines as long as they're feeling good and then go back to regular bench super light(almost Starr Protocol light) and slowly work back up. But incline bench will not just suddenly translate over to a flat bench PR
    Just looking to PR my inclined with my previous flat bench PR, for clarification. This isjust a short term goal to hit before re-evaluation of going back to flat bench. But the major question is would I give much up if I just ditched flat bench, forever. I don't think my pec. is torn, in fact it feels 100% right now. But it was strained (the tie in under my right arm pit) and I kind of like inclined bench better than flat.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Illingworth View Post
    Generally, flat benching uses more muscle mass than incline (and I think it's easier to configure safeties for flat), but incline barbell presses are better than dumbbell work and way better than nothing.
    This is the point I'm not sure I completely agree with. If Person a can bench 300 flat and person B can bench 265 inclined, I'm not so sure person A is stronger and I'm not so sure that person A could inclined bench 265 automatically. Inclined bench is a harder movement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast