starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't progress on bench

Question Can't progress on bench

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi everyone,

I started the simplest novice SS program (Bench / Overhead Press, Deadlift, Squat) only a bit more than a month ago, but unfortunately I already managed to fail twice on the Bench exercise.
    I can handle the first two sets, but on the third and last set I grind the fourth rep really hard and the fifth is just a no go.

I might be new to the program, however, I have been training for quite some time now and I know my way around the gym - meaning I understand the terms, I eat properly, and I make sure my form is on point before I start loading up the weights.

Height: 6 ft (180 cm)
    Weight: 142.6 lbs (64.7 kg)
    Male

Note: During the time I trained I didn't gain much weight - I was sick for 2 weeks and couldn't workout and eat properly. Basically, my weight changed like so:

17/10 - 138.4 lbs (62.8 kg)
    29/10 - 142 lbs (64.4 kg)
    Sick until
    7/11 - 137.3 lbs (62.3 kg)
    21/11 - 142.6 lbs (64.7 kg)

My lifting weights (as of now. didn't change the time I was out):
    Deadlift: 155 lbs (70 kg)
    Overhead Press: 72 lbs (32.5 kg)
    Bench: 115 lbs (52.5 kg) - Success / 121 lbs (55 kg) - Failure

Up until now I have managed to put on more weight on every single exercise, each workout. But now I'm stuck on the Bench press.

Any ideas on how to break this plateau?
    Thanks!

1) post a video to iron out technique
    2) how long are you resting in between sets
    3) are you microloading
    4) you’re recovering from being sick so that’s important—a slight deload may have been necessary
    5) gain 70 pounds

Quote Originally Posted by Royce Nichols View Post
    3) are you microloading
    4) you’re recovering from being sick so that’s important—a slight deload may have been necessary
    5) gain 70 pounds
    #5 especially

You tried to increase your bench press by 5% session-to-session, while not gaining weight, being already very thin.

Try eating enough to slowly and consistently gain weight, and using smaller weight increases (i.e. find or buy smaller plates).

3) are you microloading
    5) gain 70 pounds
    1) I will shoot a video next time I hit the gym.
    2) 1 - 2 minutes.
    3) The smallest plates in my gym are 1.25 kg which is 2.7 lbs, so each time I want to increase the weight I have to add 1.25 kg to each side of the bar which is a total of 2.5 kg or lbs..
    4) So should I go back to the previous weight and fully complete the sets for the next week or so?
    5) I'm definitely trying. Meanwhile, what weight should I go for when benching?

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Davies View Post
    You tried to increase your bench press by 5% session-to-session, while not gaining weight, being already very thin.

Try eating enough to slowly and consistently gain weight, and using smaller weight increases (i.e. find or buy smaller plates).
    It's not exactly session-to-session, because I'm alternating between the bench and the overhead press, but yeah I get what your'e saying.. I'll see if I can find smaller plates.

Thanks for the quick replys btw

Repeat the last completed work weight due 3 sets of 5 and go up from there. Rest 5mins for your bench and see what happens. Order micro plates—seriously. Don’t try to gain weight. Do it. I know it’s hard but you can do it

3) are you microloading
    5) gain 70 pounds
    Nothing to add to this, nailed it.

You are 6 feet tall and 142 pounds. That's your problem. You need to gain some weight period.

Quote Originally Posted by Mugaaz View Post
    Nothing to add to this, nailed it.
    Except for perhaps the order of importance. Gaining weight is by far what's holding you back the most. Start putting whole milk in your diet, or peanut butter if you can't stand the milk, or both. I recommend finding the cow from which you obtained said milk as well and eat him/her as well. Look to gain a couple pounds a week for the next few months, after resetting a bit on the bench and microloading 2.5# from there. While doing that, read the sticky and post some form checks.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Dlk93 View Post
    I recommend finding the cow from which you obtained said milk as well and eat him/her as well.
    I wouldn't drink milk from a male cow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast