starting strength gym

Thread: Cruise (Norwegian Breakaway) Have Free weights?

Default Cruise (Norwegian Breakaway) Have Free weights?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Taking first cruise with family in December and freaking out....the Norwegian Breakaway states that it has "free weights" but from the pictures, all I can see is dumbbells. Those are great for training upper body in absence of a barbell, but I don't see a squat rack or "heavy" barbells. I see pre-loaded barbells that don't look like they top 100 pounds.

Does anyone have experience with this ship? If so, can you share, please.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OZ-USF-UFGator View Post
    Taking first cruise with family in December and freaking out....the Norwegian Breakaway states that it has "free weights" but from the pictures, all I can see is dumbbells. Those are great for training upper body in absence of a barbell, but I don't see a squat rack or "heavy" barbells. I see pre-loaded barbells that don't look like they top 100 pounds.

Does anyone have experience with this ship? If so, can you share, please.

Thanks
    It was back in 2007, but on my cruise (Carnival), it only had dumbbells up to 45 or so, crappy machines, and some cardio stuff. I doubt you'll have any barbells on the ship...but you may have better luck with your cruise line. I'd say it is a little higher scale than Carnival.

Use the time to take a pivot block and do stuff you don’t normally do. Unilateral leg work, some machine work.
    There are no barbells on ships for cruisers . It’s ok. I go on one a year.
    Just train up to it, try to hit movement patterns for 6 solid sets a week while on the cruise and don’t stress about it.
    It’s a good time to get good at split squats, 1leg deadlifts and other parlor tricks. It only takes a week or two after the cruise to be back in the swing of training. The break always reinvigorates me.

I say this with all seriousness. It’s a vacation. Relax with the family. Eat a ton, put on some size. Walk the deck with the kids, enjoy time with your wife. Come back from the cruise 5 pounds heavier and the break combined with the additional mass may work wonders.

That’s what I did on my cruise. If I tried to cut away from the family to train - on vacation - she would have me thrown overboard.

Agreed on the above two posts. Personally(and most on these boards are probably similar) I know I'm going to be training consistently about 50 weeks out of the year. If you go away, especially if its a vacation, and the conditions do not support barbell lifting just do whatever you want. If what you want to do is no exercise at all that's completely fine. Train hard when you return

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Dobson View Post
    Use the time to take a pivot block and do stuff you don’t normally do. Unilateral leg work, some machine work.
    There are no barbells on ships for cruisers . It’s ok. I go on one a year.
    Just train up to it, try to hit movement patterns for 6 solid sets a week while on the cruise and don’t stress about it.
    It’s a good time to get good at split squats, 1leg deadlifts and other parlor tricks. It only takes a week or two after the cruise to be back in the swing of training. The break always reinvigorates me.
    This too.

Taking a vacation or two a year has not hindered my long term progress. The time with loved ones and relaxation is more important than a few missed training sessions a year.
    Many lifters plan such times as part of the annual training plan. Nagging injuries have time to get ahead in the healing process and you may get re sensitized to training.
    In all honesty I leave on Sunday for an 11 day. I will cut my volume way back to something I do when bored on sea days. It is not possible to mimick the load of barbell training, I won’t try. I recommend unilateral leg work, a press variation, some pull-ups or rows. Go back to the pool deck. Don’t skip ports or excursions to train.
    I will snorkel and dive some reefs and walk around some new to me and familiar places, talk to people from different places with different backgrounds and interests , take lots of pictures and make more memories with my wife. All year it’s work work work, train train train. It can become a dull existence if you become a slave to the routine.

I will eat good food enjoy some drinks and not check my work emails or log my food in myfitness pal. It’s a break from regular life.

Quote Originally Posted by TommyGun View Post
    I say this with all seriousness. It’s a vacation. Relax with the family.
    This.
    On top of that, a ship always moves about a little, even when the sea is calm. You don't want to use a barbell on a shifting floor.

IPB

starting strength coach development program
    Cruise ships typically have a Smith Machine, dumb bells, maybe some cable machines and lots of cardio machines for people to work off the buffet.