starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exertion Headache?

Default Exertion Headache?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I am 34 yr old 235lb male about 3 months into my LP. Tuesday during last rep of my third set of 325lb squat I got severe pain in the back left side of my head. I was able to take some time and finish my bench and cleans. Today on my last rep of 137.5 OHP the same thing happened. I made it through my warmups of deadlifts and by my 2nd rep I had to sit down with intense pain. I didn't eat much before either of these workouts and may be a little dehydrated and malnourished after Thanksgiving with family in town. I am going to take a workout off and lower the weight and see if that helps. Has anyone had a similar experience or any pointers?

I've had them, hasn't happened much since my initial LP. Just train the best you can, I used to come prepared with some Tylenol. This may have nothing to do with your recover, but definitely address any factors that may be effecting your rate of recovery because it may improve.

Hydration issues and headache go hand in hand. Hangover headaches are largely hydration problems. It could also be a muscle spasm in your neck. Or, it could be something worse; unlikely, but possible. If you start having vision issues or motor control problems, get yourself to the ER ASAP.

Where exactly is the headache?

The pain is on the left side near the back of my head towards the top.

I had something similar in my thirties whilst doing flies. Never happened again. Was it a sharp, intense pain which took half an hour or so to fade to something like comfortable ? Anyway, I'm in my late 50s now, so clearly it wasn't anything bad. Can't tell you what it is, or how I got rid of it. Possibly form. I've had dehydration headaches when caving for hours without water, they are usually accompanied by a dull ache, blurry vision, nausea and feeling weaker than a baby.

I had a similar incident during chin ups. Felt like a powerful blow to the bottom right of my skull. It subsided quickly, although it felt like I pulled a muscle in my neck for a few days. I think it's something I do with my neck, other times I felt like I pulled a muscle in my neck, but no headache.

Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    I had something similar in my thirties whilst doing flies. Never happened again. Was it a sharp, intense pain which took half an hour or so to fade to something like comfortable ? Anyway, I'm in my late 50s now, so clearly it wasn't anything bad. Can't tell you what it is, or how I got rid of it. Possibly form. I've had dehydration headaches when caving for hours without water, they are usually accompanied by a dull ache, blurry vision, nausea and feeling weaker than a baby.
    Lol

Guys, please please call 9-1-1 and get to the ER if it feels like the worst headache ever created. Not to exaggerate but if you seen someone go down in front of you and almost not make it.... sorry long story. Was a near fatal brain aneurism. Do not ever disregard the dearly signs and symptoms of a brain aneurism. Not much time to react but man it can save a (your) life.

It didn’t happen under the bar, completely unrelated to training. I know I am jumping to conclusions, just my two cents.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    Happened to me at ~40yo when I first joined a gym. Squats did it. Over a six month period it happened twice. Those were the worst two headaches I ever had. Never has happened since and I am 62 now.

Usually these are nothing but they can be a sign of something worse.

Exercise headaches - Symptoms and causes - Mayo Clinic

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast