starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Purchase new bench?

Default Purchase new bench?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I’ve always benched with my feet up on the bench. Now that I’m learning to bench properly, I discovered my bench is too high (20”) to properly push from the feet.
    I can half assed do it if I place my feet on the support legs!and use my toes rather than the whole foot.

Should I get a proper bench? Or just use some 45’s to plant my feet on?
    Any suggestions?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bean438 View Post
    I’ve always benched with my feet up on the bench. Now that I’m learning to bench properly, I discovered my bench is too high (20”) to properly push from the feet.
    I can half assed do it if I place my feet on the support legs!and use my toes rather than the whole foot.

Should I get a proper bench? Or just use some 45’s to plant my feet on?
    Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Some blocks for your feet, a lower bench, and hiring a welder are the 3 options I can think of. You might not be able to put plates right where you want them because of the footprint of the bench. A quality competition style bumper would work nicely if you can (and if you're going to need the bumpers for other lifts anyway) though.

A proper bench would be better if you can afford it. Titan's flat bench is very good for $120. Several forum members own it including myself.

Titan Fitness Flat Weight Bench 1,000 lb Rated Capacity w/ Handle & Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by simplesimon View Post
    A proper bench would be better if you can afford it. Titan's flat bench is very good for $120. Several forum members own it including myself.

Titan Fitness Flat Weight Bench 1,000 lb Rated Capacity w/ Handle & Wheels
    That's quite the bargain.

All of the benches at my work gym are Matrix adjustables. The extra parts makes them a bit high for comfortable foot placement while benching. I use a pair of 45# bumpers for foot placement. When purchasing a bench for my garage gym I was careful to take note of the height due to the issue at my work gym. I went with the Rogue Flat Utility Bench 2.0 https://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-flat-utility-bench. It is currently $179.50 and I'm very happy with it. It's not adjustable but I really haven't found a need for an adjustable bench though YMMV. I'm sure there are plenty of adjustable benches that are low/standard height, just wish they'd have found some for my work gym.

I have the Rogue flat bench, and am happy with it.

Curious how much the Titan bench weighs, because of the wheels bit. My bench weighs about 40 lbs and isn't hard to move. Is the Titan much heavier, or are the wheels there for very weak people?

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Davies View Post
    I have the Rogue flat bench, and am happy with it.

Curious how much the Titan bench weighs, because of the wheels bit. My bench weighs about 40 lbs and isn't hard to move. Is the Titan much heavier, or are the wheels there for very weak people?
    The wheels don't add much to the weight. I looked up my old Fedex tracking number and it says the package weighed 35lbs.

The wheels make it slightly more convenient to move the bench around.

Quote Originally Posted by simplesimon View Post
    The wheels don't add much to the weight. I looked up my old Fedex tracking number and it says the package weighed 35lbs.

The wheels make it slightly more convenient to move the bench around.
    I think he's asking if the wheels are indicative that the overall bench is too heavy to toss around as easily as his Rogue model, not talking about the weight of the wheels themselves. I'm wrong about things sometimes though.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    I think he's asking if the wheels are indicative that the overall bench is too heavy to toss around as easily as his Rogue model, not talking about the weight of the wheels themselves. I'm wrong about things sometimes though.
    Yep. If the whole package only weighed 35 lbs, it's a slightly lighter bench than the Rogue one.

Sounds like a very good deal, given it's $50 cheaper and still standard dimensions and apparently sturdy.

starting strength coach development program
    I don’t really think I’ll need bumper plates (especially after watching Rips’s video on them!). I’m not even sure if they would fit without my grinding off some of my bench stabilizers.

Nonetheless, needed or not I’d consider bumpers if they do the job. I’d rather have bumpers than 2 benches.

The titan bench looks like a steal! Just trying to see if they ship to Canada. If not I’m an hour drive to the border. 119 bucks with free shipping is hard to beat.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast