starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 4 inch lifting belt

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Not for your first belt, no. Start with 10 mm. Once you are squatting 400+ you can reassess.

I will say for the record that I love my Pioneer 13 mm all leather but it is a beast.

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

Quote Originally Posted by Shane D View Post
    Let me ask as I'm fairly new to lifting still. I'm not a power lifter. But I lift 3-5 days a week. I weigh 170-175# I'm squatting a little or 300# and same for dead lift. My goal is 400 by next year. I do over head press as well. Do I need a 10-13 mm belt?
    I've been using my Inzer lever 10mm since 2012. It held up well through the 200s, then the 300s, then the 400s. I'd say 10mm is more than enough for now, and you can always reassess when you start putting up 500+ for reps.

I started with a 4" budget belt that I still use for squats. After some experience and research I got a 2.5" Best Belt powerlifting belt. It made a world of difference for my deadlift. I'm 5'11" and the 4" belt dug into my ribs which made it extremely difficult to breath between DL reps. The 2.5" allowed much more comfortable breathing. I plan on adding a 4" Best Belt athlete belt soon. Their belts are broke in when they arrive. The fit & finish is very professional. The belt edges are rounded and will not dig into you. Athlete Suede Powerlifting Belt - Best Belts

Let me ask as I'm fairly new to lifting still. I'm not a power lifter. But I lift 3-5 days a week. I weigh 170-175# I'm squatting a little or 300# and same for dead lift. My goal is 400 by next year. I do over head press as well. Do I need a 10-13 mm belt?
    6.5mm without the suede is the same as 10mm with, which is what you need. Buy the belt OCG recommended.

Okay thanks. I'll check them out! I'm not sure I under stand. How is the 10 mm with suede the same as the 6.5 without? I'm a novice at this.

Okay thanks. I'll check them out! I'm not sure I under stand. How is the 10 mm with suede the same as the 6.5 without? I'm a novice at this.
    It's the same in that they both have the same thickness of leather (6.5mm).
    The 10mm one has suede either side of the leather (~1.5-2mm) that doesn't add support but does offer more comfort.

If you want more details on the various differences check out the general leather craft thread, I spent bloody ages reading through the whole thing and several other thread and then summarised the options in a post, which I think is now second from last page.

The 6.5 is a single layer of leather with no stitching (I own one...love it!). The 10mm adds suede and stitches them together to gain thickness.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob-UK View Post
    It's the same in that they both have the same thickness of leather (6.5mm).
    The 10mm one has suede either side of the leather (~1.5-2mm) that doesn't add support but does offer more comfort.

If you want more details on the various differences check out the general leather craft thread, I spent bloody ages reading through the whole thing and several other thread and then summarised the options in a post, which I think is now second from last page.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Puckett View Post
    The 6.5 is a single layer of leather with no stitching (I own one...love it!). The 10mm adds suede and stitches them together to gain thickness.
    I should have been more clear, OP. These guys have you covered.

Quote Originally Posted by Royce Nichols View Post
    That’s cuz you need to run inzer belts over with a car to break them in.

Hahahaha. I actually did this with my best belt

starting strength coach development program
    I happened upon this post by Matt from GLC today so thought I may as well share as it's pertinent (he's replying to a comment under a video on his website):

You have the basics down there already! If you just think of TOTAL THICKNESS and then add the thickness of the other material (suede) then you will really start to get a feel for what we do.

[I
    ]13mm double suede belt is two pieces of leather (4.5mm each for a total of 9mm) + two pieces of suede (2mm ea for a total of 4mm) = 13mm
    13mm Non Suede belt is two pieces of leather at 6.5mm each
    10mm belt is a single 6.5mm piece of leather + two (2) layers of suede at 2mm each = 10.5mm +/-
    Deadlift Belts, Training Belts, and basic Power belts are all a single piece of leather measuring right around 6.5mm thick

Hope this is what you were after![/I]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast