starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Yet Another Weight Loss Question (Sorry!)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Ringer3 View Post
    Thanks to everyone for the replies.

Thanks for calling me out on this, because it's probably true.
    No worries and glad you took it that way. I just see it happening a lot on this and other forums and I also am very much that way myself. I like to think I'm open minded but I'm pretty stubborn at seeing things my own way.

Thanks to everyone for the replies.

But anyways, I'm back to lifting and I'm currently running the advanced novice on a calorie deficit. Transitioning from a see-food/fast food diet to a strict diet with high protein and a fiber minimum is not turning out to be so easy, but I'm going to get it done.
    Cool!

Dalton, good ol

No one will confuse me with an actual expert. But my BW was 289 some months ago, and currently 263 and 63 years old, fumbling my way through LP and reading the books and scanning this forum.

One thing that may seem out of context is this:
    The First Three Questions | Mark Rippetoe

Specifically:
    "Question 3
    How much, and what, are you eating, and are you getting enough sleep?"

It occurs to me that getting more sleep for some trial period may help. It helped me.

It seems that many who site that article leave the bolded part of the sentence off. Just saying.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Davies View Post
    At some point, someone has to let the other guy post last :-)
    Haha

Two month Update From the OP:

In the past two months, lots of positive things have happened:

1) I signed up for SSOC and recently added the nutrition option with Robert Santana.

2) I restarted the novice linear progression under the guidance of coach Michael Burgos. My squat is now at all-time PR levels (250 x 5 x 3 today!) and so is my deadlift and press. Bench is closing in on all-time records that I set at age 21 as well. I'm still on the standard NLP squatting 3 times per week except I've subbed out cleans for rows/chins.

3) According to some measurements I took about 5 days ago, my waist is now a smidge under 41" ,although my bodyweight is still at 194. I find it hard to believe that I lost 1.5 inches off my waist without losing weight, so most likely my initial measurement of 42.5" was inaccurate. Regardless, my waist has definitely gotten smaller.

4) I bought my first weightlifting belt (Pioneer, 4 inch), my first nice barbell (Rogue B&R 2.0), and my first nice power rack (Titan T-3).

I still have a long ways to go in becoming more self-reliant and improving my diet, but I think I'm heading in the right direction finally.

Good stuff, Ringer3!

Two month Update From the OP:

I find it hard to believe that I lost 1.5 inches off my waist without losing weight
    This is not only possible, it happens frequently with overweight individuals on a properly executed LP. The weight will start dropping, but usually the waist measurement drops first along with other areas.

Congrats! Keep going!

starting strength coach development program
    Having done several rounds of SS on a slight deficit (when work OT gets crazy I can't recover adequately) , I went from 305 to 265

Waist (pants size) from 40-38

Jacket size went from 48L to 50L

I think the only negative is my lifts are pretty poor, relative to what I see on these forums, and would have been better if i was a skinny ass who piled on weight on NLP

47 YO 6'4" 260 lbs

Squat 275x3x5
    Bench 225x1x5 (doing a heavy and a light day with 205x5x5 on the light day to get unstuck and a new PR on the Heavy day)
    DL 305x1x5
    press 145x3x5

Health markers all improved tremendously since I have started SS

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123