starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Elite FTS Ohio vs Texas vs Hybrid Bar

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by thejosef View Post
    Yep. This.

For the use you mentioned, I would just go with the 1.2 Ohio Bar. It is 28.5mm and is a fine all-purpose bar. Can easily do cleans, deadlifts, bench, squat.. you name it. It's is really not "the best" at any of these, but the knurling and spin are plenty adequate for all. I have the stainless steel version of the standard Ohio bar and I'll never sell that thing. The knurl is outstanding. A nice moderate knurl.. not too harsh and not too mild. Really great feel.
    Exactly thr feedback I'm looking for. Thank you

I don't know shit about bars. I go to thr y. I lift. Some bars are good. Some suck. Some won't spin when I clean some spin freely. And done are bent while others are too fat and smooth and limit my deadlift.

I've never given it s ton of thought because until now, I've never had a choice.

Quote Originally Posted by OZ-USF-UFGator View Post
    Exactly thr feedback I'm looking for. Thank you

I don't know shit about bars. I go to thr y. I lift. Some bars are good. Some suck. Some won't spin when I clean some spin freely. And done are bent while others are too fat and smooth and limit my deadlift.

I've never given it s ton of thought because until now, I've never had a choice.
    No problem. Any other bar questions, ask away. I've owned a bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by thejosef View Post
    Yep. This.

For the use you mentioned, I would just go with the 1.2 Ohio Bar. It is 28.5mm and is a fine all-purpose bar. Can easily do cleans, deadlifts, bench, squat.. you name it. It's is really not "the best" at any of these, but the knurling and spin are plenty adequate for all. I have the stainless steel version of the standard Ohio bar and I'll never sell that thing. The knurl is outstanding. A nice moderate knurl.. not too harsh and not too mild. Really great feel.
    Agree. The Ohio bar is an excellent all-purpose bar (and the Stainless Steel version is even cooler). I think Rogue even calls it their "Flagship" bar. Note that it lacks center knurl (which can be seen as both a benefit and a detriment in different ways). If you want center knurl, the B&R has it, along with a 29mm shaft (same as TPB) and a couple more psi, but only comes in bare steel (which feels great but requires some maintenance if you have it in a moist environment). I currently own 3 bars, a B&R (the older version), an Echo 2.0 (Ohio's slightly cheaper cousin), and a Cap OB-86B (which was a bargain when it was $99), but I do a lot of my lifting in a commercial gym that has the Buddy Capps TPB's and they're completely fine. The barbell market has really come a long way in the past several years. There's still a lot of junk or things that are designed in a silly way (cases-in-point: needle bearings on a $300 "all-purpose" barbell, bearing/bushing hybrid designs).

Much appreciated. I am learning slowly now and I nearly fell for the marketing puffery of "hybrid bar". Ohio Bar it is.

I wonder how much I could add to my lifts if I optimized my bar selection and actually wore a belt more often than once in 2 years. I pulled 525 (with some left in reserve) beltless, no knee wraps and even with straps the shitty, slippery (but nice and shiny) bar "slid" out of my g'dam hands at lock out.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by OZ-USF-UFGator View Post
    Much appreciated. I am learning slowly now and I nearly fell for the marketing puffery of "hybrid bar". Ohio Bar it is.

I wonder how much I could add to my lifts if I optimized my bar selection and actually wore a belt more often than once in 2 years. I pulled 525 (with some left in reserve) beltless, no knee wraps and even with straps the shitty, slippery (but nice and shiny) bar "slid" out of my g'dam hands at lock out.

And no chalk, either. My last YMCA had an old slightly bent patina covered bar that fit my hand perfectly. Everyone but me hated the bar so it was easy to have access to on deadlift night. I could do 405 for singles and once hit a double using double overhand grip and chalk only, no straps. I should have offered to buy that bar when I moved.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12