Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elite FTS Ohio vs Texas vs Hybrid Bar

Default Elite FTS Ohio vs Texas vs Hybrid Bar

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Another question for general training at the work gym

Ohio vs Texas vs Hybrid Bar?

I am limited to ordering from Elite FTS, as they are a vendor.

I've read that the knurling on the Texas bar is too aggressive and on the Ohio bar is not aggressive enough and I can't find any info on the hybrid bar.

The main user for this bar will be the bench/curl crowd, but a few of us have 500# + deadlifts.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

I have all three at my gym. There's no difference between the Ohio and Texas as far as knurling. Just get whichever one is cheaper and has center knurling. The hybird bar you are referring to will likely have a spin to it as it is a hybrid between an oly bar and a powerlifting bar. I would not recommend it for a semi-commercial gym crowd.

Can you link to which bars you're talking about? I'm a little confused. If you decide you want a Buddy Capps Texas Power Bar, they might be a little cheaper on Amazon

The Ohio Power Bar is much nicer and has way better (Modern) construction than the Texas Bar.

I can only speak to the TPB (Buddy Capps which looks to be the same as on Elite's website). The knurling is aggressive but it isn't an issue for bench, squat, DL, etc... PC is a bit rough on the hands however. I would expect the same with the Olympic lifts. Sounds like the OPB would be similar in this respect. If I had it to do over I would have went with the Rogue B&R 2.0 bar. It has standard knurl and dual knurl marks. Elite obviously doesn't sell this bar but I wonder if they would order it in as they do sell Rogue products.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    Can you link to which bars you're talking about? I'm a little confused. If you decide you want a Buddy Capps Texas Power Bar, they might be a little cheaper on Amazon

1.2 Ohio bar Black Zinc Shaft Bright Zinc Sleeves

Texas Power Bar

Men's Hybrid Bar; 86"

You're comparing a needle bearing 28mm bar called "hybrid" for some reason, with a general purpose bar called the Ohio Bar (not to be confused with the Ohio Power Bar, which is maybe a better choice for you), and the Texas Power Bar. These are 3 pretty different things. If you want a heavily knurled super-stiff power bar, look at TPB or OPB. And forget needle bearings unless you are buying something almost strictly for the Olympic lifts/their variants.

I don't think he really knows what he wants, he just likes to start stupid threads.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    You're comparing a needle bearing 28mm bar called "hybrid" for some reason, with a general purpose bar called the Ohio Bar (not to be confused with the Ohio Power Bar, which is maybe a better choice for you), and the Texas Power Bar. These are 3 pretty different things. If you want a heavily knurled super-stiff power bar, look at TPB or OPB. And forget needle bearings unless you are buying something almost strictly for the Olympic lifts/their variants.
    Yep. This.

For the use you mentioned, I would just go with the 1.2 Ohio Bar. It is 28.5mm and is a fine all-purpose bar. Can easily do cleans, deadlifts, bench, squat.. you name it. It's is really not "the best" at any of these, but the knurling and spin are plenty adequate for all. I have the stainless steel version of the standard Ohio bar and I'll never sell that thing. The knurl is outstanding. A nice moderate knurl.. not too harsh and not too mild. Really great feel.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Meshuggah View Post
    I don't think he really knows what he wants, he just likes to start stupid threads.
    If I knew what the he'll I was talking about why would I start thr thread asking for help ? Or do you just like giving stupid responses?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast