starting strength gym

Thread: Patella Baja/Contracted Patellar Tendon and Heavy Squats

Default Patella Baja/Contracted Patellar Tendon and Heavy Squats

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I did a search for this and couldn't find anything, which isn't a surprise as it's a pretty rare condition from what I understand, and am looking for some info, especially from the doctors around the forum on this issue. I'm a 35 yo male, 5'10", 186 lbs at the moment, up from about 170 or so in October. This is my second go at SS after doing the program 2 years ago and getting sidelined by an Appendicitis and falling off the wagon until now.

A brief rundown of my issue:

Knee injury in 2012 (I was 30) required surgery for a ligament reconstruction, which led to major complications with Arthrofibrosis (massive scarring). I went through multiple surgeries to remove adhesions. My range of motion was greatly restricted, but improved with 1 1/2 years of PT. Flexion went from 10 degrees to ending up with about 120 degrees. I still lack ~5-10 degrees of knee extension. The end result was a contracted Patellar tendon (Patella Baja).

My range of motion is good enough to do a proper below parallel squat. I have no pain or discomfort squatting, though when I'm not lifting if I force end range of motion it definitely hurts and I can feel a lot of tension across my bad knee and patellar tendon when I flex my quads, but not necessarily pain. I was able to get to about 265 lbs on squat and 300 on deadlift last time around on SS with no problems with the knee. I'm currently at 210 on squat and 275 on DL and plan to progress as far as possible. No issues with the knee while lifting currently.

My question is do I have to worry about the contracted Patellar tendon the heavier the weights get and the stronger and more force my quads can produce through it? Is there any risk of tearing the tendon? I seem to remember during the time I was going through the surgeries reading that once the Patellar tendon contracts there is no stretching it out without major surgery, though I don't seem to understand this as it is a soft tissue which should be able to stretch, unless a pathological fibrotic tendon is different. Will the tendon adapt to the stress as I go?

Any help is greatly appreciated. I've just been curious about this and have kind of started to psych myself out that the tendon will suddenly snap under heavy loads.

I would guess you'll be fine but you may want to post this on the Coaches Forum or Rip's Forum so you get responses from some of our Physical Therapists

Will do, thanks.