starting strength gym
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Strength plateau - begging for help at this point

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalton Clark View Post
    Any of the suggestions are good as far as specific programs. I am not going to provide one because there is no "one size fits all" program for intermediates. Whether you are a late intermediate remains to be seen. I wouldn't think that you are too far into true "intermediate" status with your current lifts - particularly the squat. The definitions we use here are an intermediate can make weekly progress. I'm a fan of Andy Baker's templates, HLM programming in general, and the 4 day Texas method. Unfortunately, I'm still a novice since my squat won't lie down and die. I just think that - if you want to pursue lifting long term - you need to learn how to make these kinds of programming decisions yourself. Following a template will only get you so far. The more advanced someone gets, the more their program deviates from a template. That is why there are so many programs out there - everyone has developed something that has worked for someone. This is why books like Practical Programming for Strength Training are extremely important reads. They don't just give you a plan to follow but introduce you to the concepts of how to make a program based on what you are seeing and what variables you can manipulate.
    thanks a lot man, yeah my lifting status is quite unknown at this point since im not really sure if im a true intermediate at this point. I have bounced from program to program trying to find methods that work consistently for me to no avail and this has in turn made me very blind to how i can most efficiently progress as an individual.

Quote Originally Posted by RatDog View Post
    okay, I will consider c6w then as I have heard great things about it. I have heard its quite lack luster in bench though, what are your experiences with this and how may I remedy it?
    When I followed Candito's program earlier this year my paused bench was 336 in competition. I'm up another 20-30 pounds now but have been pressing 4 times a week on my last program. If you want a good bench you need to do a lot of it and do several variations so you don't get burned out.

These templates don't necessarily have to be followed to a tee. For example, when I did Candito's I didn't do the high rep assistance pressing but did the same exercises at lower reps as I respond better to higher intensities press wise.

Quote Originally Posted by RatDog View Post
    thanks a lot man, yeah my lifting status is quite unknown at this point since im not really sure if im a true intermediate at this point. I have bounced from program to program trying to find methods that work consistently for me to no avail and this has in turn made me very blind to how i can most efficiently progress as an individual.
    RatDog, I see your problem this way:

* You have a free coach, but you don't trust the program he's given you.
    * You have coaches you respect, but can't afford to pay them.
    * You don't have the expertise to coach yourself.

You have three options:
    1) trust your current coach, follow the program, be patient
    2) cut your cellphone plan or your drinking or whatever, and pay a coach you already trust
    3) read some books, spend a year or two gradually tuning a vague template program (like HLM, TM, 5-3-1) until it turns into exactly the right program for you

As an intermediate (probably) there's no cookie-cutter program that's exactly right for you. Certainly not one for free from anonymous internet assholes like me.

I chose (3) personally. I lost 2-3 years of progress to do this, as it took a lot of careful experimentation and record-keeping to figure out what worked for me.
    But I'm old and until recently had some medical issues that spoiled my recovery. I'm particularly difficult to program for.

You are a healthy, strong young man. You will probably make *some* progress on any halfway-decent program. As you become a better coach for yourself, you'll make better progress. Get on with it.

Change your program no more often than once every 3 weeks or so. Little tweaks, like adding a set or changing rest periods. Don't jump entirely from one program to another, you'll never learn anything that way. Keep good records.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Davies View Post
    RatDog, I see your problem this way:

* You have a free coach, but you don't trust the program he's given you.
    * You have coaches you respect, but can't afford to pay them.
    * You don't have the expertise to coach yourself.

You have three options:
    1) trust your current coach, follow the program, be patient
    2) cut your cellphone plan or your drinking or whatever, and pay a coach you already trust
    3) read some books, spend a year or two gradually tuning a vague template program (like HLM, TM, 5-3-1) until it turns into exactly the right program for you

As an intermediate (probably) there's no cookie-cutter program that's exactly right for you. Certainly not one for free from anonymous internet assholes like me.

I chose (3) personally. I lost 2-3 years of progress to do this, as it took a lot of careful experimentation and record-keeping to figure out what worked for me.
    But I'm old and until recently had some medical issues that spoiled my recovery. I'm particularly difficult to program for.

You are a healthy, strong young man. You will probably make *some* progress on any halfway-decent program. As you become a better coach for yourself, you'll make better progress. Get on with it.

Change your program no more often than once every 3 weeks or so. Little tweaks, like adding a set or changing rest periods. Don't jump entirely from one program to another, you'll never learn anything that way. Keep good records.
    thanks a lot for your advice! I will do some reading over my break from school to finally learn this myself. Thanks again!

RatDog,

With regards to the 300/month for coaching. This is pretty par for the course. My coaching (no nutrition) per month is 200 and that is with video form checks on all lifts and programming. This is because a couch isn't giving you a program that they already have. They are making one for you based off of input you are providing them. It takes time to check form, do the programming, and maybe nutrition. Combine that with the fact that most of them are self-employed and get all that glorious tax weirdness, and you see why that is what they have to charge to make a living.

If you want to opine with us about crafting a program for you, I'm sure several of the nerdier folks here would be glad to assist. Assuming you are willing to drink some Kool-Aid first.

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

starting strength coach development program
    Your lifts aren't astounding, but they're a very good start. You're young and likely an intermediate.

Don't overcomplicate this. If your goal is to get stronger, the aim should be to get stronger with the least amount of work. There's no point in going to the gym 8 times a week if you can get the same results with 3.

You have some very good suggestions above. Mine would be to pick one of the following:

(1) The Bridge by Feigenbaum and Baraki. It's free and it's effective.

(2) Pay Andy Baker $25 for a program. It won't be individualized, but it should be good enough to at least get you a few months of progress.

(3) Find a program online from someone who actually understands programming. If you're expected to lift five days a week at your current lifts, that program isn't for you.

Obviously individual coaching is the gold standard, but I also was a broke college student at one time...so I completely understand why that may not be feasible for you.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234