starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squatting strength has gone to sh*# after two back-to-back injuries.

Default Squatting strength has gone to sh*# after two back-to-back injuries.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I am turning 40 next month. I am 5’10’’ and 185lbs (+/- 5lbs) for the last few years. Below is a video of me “trying” to squat with a measly 135lbs and 165lbs. These have now become my work sets with 165lbs actually being my best since last 3 months. I was lifting 235lbs 1x5 as max before that. There is a clear change in the way I am squatting vs before. It is not at all comfortable anymore. I can’t pinpoint what has changed. Before, even in my max set, I will not feel “uncomfortable”. It will be hard but at no time would I feel that I am doing anything wrong. Body would be in balance right at the center of gravity, feet firmly on the ground with an unshakable-like-a-tree-trunk kind of feeling and all force pushing the bar up against the ground. Today, the only feeling I have is oh-fuck the back is gonna give any moment now – brace brace brace! WTF!!!

On Oct 19, I had a lower back spasm on the 2nd warm up set of 135lbs. I have no clue why that happened out of nowhere. Probably there was no warm-up. Probably I was distracted. I don’t know. That is water under the bridge now. Totally immobile for a couple of days and then recovery on anti-inflammatory and muscle-relaxants for about 3 weeks. I was on path to recovery when a second injury happened as I tried to lift in a clean-like manner a cute-fat kid in haste while he resisted. It turned out that he weighed about 135lbs and obviously lifting an unwilling person like that added more to it. It was the exact same injury as on Oct 19th. I gave another two weeks rest and went back under the bar. It has now been about 3 weeks. I am making very slow gains but feel very uncomfortable under the bar. Lower back feels supple and prone to injury.

I know these sets in the video are shit but exactly what is shit? What all do I need to fix and what I the first thing I need to fix?

The video has Bench and Clean sets too in the end. While you are at it, please critique it too – specially the clean. I was not able to take the video for all 5 sets of clean.

Squat. Barx5, 95x5, 95x5, 135x5, 165x5, 165x5, 165x5, 135x5.

Bench. 95x5, 135x5 (incorrectly labeled in the video), 135x5, 155x4, 145x5, 145x5.

Clean. 95x5 (no video), 115x5 (no video), 115x5, 115x5, 115x5 (no video).

YouTube

Where is your belt?
    Weightlifting shoes?

Squat: You're trying to stay too upright.

Clean: The start is all wrong, but go back to the teaching method and fix the arm pull and missed jump position first.

I never used belt and weightlifting shoes. Are these must at such low weights and is that what I need to fix current problems?

I did suspect the back angle. Somehow unable to get it more horizontal post the injury.

The equipment does a make a difference. Shoes help with balance and stability and a belt increases intra-abdominal pressure when you valsava. It isn’t a light weight/ heavy weight thing. FWIW, there’s also a psychological benefit to the belt; a part of me believes my back will stay rigid (and therefore safe) because im wearing it.

I would also suggest multiple warm up sets with the empty bar, both for getting warm and the added practice of the lift.
    Last edited by Brian Goldstein; 01-12-2018 at 07:00 AM.

Thanks guys. I will work on the back angle tomorrow. I saw a few videos online and Ripettoe demos as well. Hopefully things get better. Any other glaring observations on the squats?

Shoes might take some time. I am in Philippines and can't seem to find them anywhere! Found some online but no sizes. I will likely get them shipped from the states. Below photo shows what I found online. Which ones would be ideal?

Yes, there are other issues in your squat, but generally speaking its best to work on 1-2 cues at a time because it's difficult enough to do that, and fixing this one may address other issues you've been having.

Equipment Guide - Shoes - Bay Strength

will steer you in the right direction.

So here’s my 2nd session. I have tried to fix my back angle to be more horizontal.

I am so surprised to discover the twisting of my legs when looked at from the back in Work Set 2 (2:10). Am I standing too wide?

Is the back now better than the previous video? I think it is more horizontal starting the Work Set 3 (2:40).

Are my presses and deadlifts ok?

Overall I did not feel as shaky as I did last time. I think I am standing too wide. Should I narrow my stance and add more weight in next session?

YouTube

Technique needs a lot of work.

1. Before you unrack, set the upper back/chest relationship by squeezing the shoulder blades together and sticking the chest out. This relationship does not change throughout the lift, irrespective of back angle.
    2. When you walk out, before you descend, let the bar settle.
    3. To initiate the descent, you open your hips as you sit back and crack at the knees. All three of these actions happen at the same time.
    4. Descent until a few inches above parallel, then drop to the bottom position and rebound out.
    5. Then push the hips up. You are pushing the knees forward out of the hole.
    6. Your back angle will be a result of anthopometry coupled with proper positioning. Do NOT try to artificially control it.
    7. Please get proper shoes.
    8. Wear the belt from the last warmup on up.

A good YouTube video is Ed Coans video with Mark Bell - how to skwaat. His technique cues are not that different from the SS model

Please help. Things are not progressing AT ALL!

In this video, I can clearly see my left ankle falling inwards. I keep feeling the strain on my lower back. I am unable to progress.

What is the first thing I need to fix?

btw, the shoes and belt will arrive next week.

YouTube

starting strength coach development program
    Have you read the book?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast