starting strength gym

Thread: Plywood platform?

Default Plywood platform?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I’ve got 3/4” rubber stall matts on my garage floor for lifting.

What’s the advantage of using a sheet of plywood? Just a harder surface to push on? That’s my guess but though I’d ask.

Yes.

I actually have 1/2" horse stall mats on top of 3/4" plywood in my garage. I have a 4' by 4' sheet of 1/2" plywood in between the horse stall mats on the ends, specifically for that harder surface to push on.

I think most would recommend more layers of plywood than I have. I just wanted something easy to takedown if and when I move.

Platforms protect the floor. Generally, a few layers are used for plywood. Rubber is optional.

I've got 3/4" rubber gym mats in top of 2x layers of 3/4" plywood.

Is there any benefit to replacing the center of my platform with plywood? I thought it was mainly for Olympic work.

Quote Originally Posted by over40 View Post
    I’ve got 3/4” rubber stall matts on my garage floor for lifting.

What’s the advantage of using a sheet of plywood? Just a harder surface to push on? That’s my guess but though I’d ask.
    It protects the foundation/ground under the platform, especially with the quick lifts.

The standard configuration for a platform is a square of 3/4" plywood (one sheet 4'x8' side by side with another), then another square of plywood rotated 90deg to the first layer, then a final layer with a single sheet of plywood is rotated again 90deg to the second layer and centered. 1'x8' of rubber stall mats are put on both sides of the center plywood. At least one polyurethane layer is put on the top sheet of plywood for protection and ease of cleaning. Whatever you do, do not sand the polyurethane smooth.
    Last edited by AndrewLewis; 01-18-2018 at 05:51 AM. Reason: My text diagram sucks
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Quote Originally Posted by CrouchingWayne View Post
    I've got 3/4" rubber gym mats in top of 2x layers of 3/4" plywood.

Is there any benefit to replacing the center of my platform with plywood? I thought it was mainly for Olympic work.
    It's seems to be mainly for Olympic work (quick feet!), though some say it can feel more stable. I use 3/4" horse stall mats (only) and they are PLENTY stable with zero give.

Quote Originally Posted by thejosef View Post
    It's seems to be mainly for Olympic work (quick feet!), though some say it can feel more stable. I use 3/4" horse stall mats (only) and they are PLENTY stable with zero give.
    I used to lift on horse stall mats only. I added plywood underneath, albeit only one layer of 3/4", when I noticed instability in certain spots.

That instability was caused by ribs on the bottom of the mats. The top of the mats have a diamond head pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by thejosef View Post
    Thanks, that's consistent with what I had read previously which is good. I quite like the look of the wooden center but my space is so small that keeping it rubber is more versatile. Luckily the matting I use has flat too and bottom so no ribbed pattern to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by over40 View Post
    What’s the advantage of using a sheet of plywood?
    When doing OLs (especially jerks, IMHO), it helps to be able to slide your soles a bit on the platform. That's much easier on (dry*) plywood than rubber.

IPB

In very humid conditions, plywood can get a bit sticky.

starting strength coach development program
    I suppose you could make an 8'x8' lifting platform out of solidwood. That'd be pretty badass.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com