starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grip Strength

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by A Schenck View Post
    Hopefully this isn't an issue, but it's worth asking: Are you using a decent bar? Some gyms have a good selection of quality bars and most gyms seem to have bars that are ok but not great... but every once in a while you encounter a thick, poorly knurled, slippery, chromed monstrosity that feels impossible to get a good grip on.
    Good point!

Hopefully this isn't an issue, but it's worth asking: Are you using a decent bar? Some gyms have a good selection of quality bars and most gyms seem to have bars that are ok but not great... but every once in a while you encounter a thick, poorly knurled, slippery, chromed monstrosity that feels impossible to get a good grip on.
    Ugh... I went through this at home. Mixed grip, hook grip, chalk: my grip seemed like the weak part...

I got a new bar and my DL took off. Grip is now becoming a slight issue, but at a solid 100lb more than with the old bar.

If you are looking for ways to increase your grip strength here are two tips:

1. Dead hangs between sets of squat

2. Hold the bar at the deadlift top position for 3-5 seconds during warm-ups, or hold for longer on your rest days, while using hook grip or straps to keep increasing your deadlift PR.

This is just me, but I would never, ever let grip strength get in the way of my deadlift progression. I already got some straps before I started SS for when my grip starts to slip and in case nothing else works. If you can get your hands on a pair I'd suggest doing that until you can get what you have to do with your grip sorted out, or just use the straps on your work sets from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by David McClelland View Post
    This is just me, but I would never, ever let grip strength get in the way of my deadlift progression.
    It's not just you. It's the only logical approach.

That is all they have at my YMCA. Except, now, someone stores his Ohio bar behind the counter and allows people to sign it out when he isn't there. I magically got 15 pounds stronger from using the Ohio bar.

Another option is to start incorporating long holds (hold 30 seconds.. 3 sets at ~1/2 of final DL set weight) and then eventually work up to heavy holds (last rep of working sets, hold 5 seconds):

YouTube

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by thejosef View Post
    Another option is to start incorporating long holds (hold 30 seconds.. 3 sets at ~1/2 of final DL set weight) and then eventually work up to heavy holds (last rep of working sets, hold 5 seconds):

YouTube
    This works very well. I always used to hold the bar on the last rep for as long as possible. That's how I went past 315 on working sets with a double overhand grip and no chalk on my LP. These holds made my grip stronger and I have never failed a deadlift because of lacking grip strength.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12