starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Very slow progress with strength

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    You do what has to be done. This is a fine solution. I've heard about and seen people using lengths of chain, industrial washers, baseball bat weights, wrist/ankle weights, and even tube socks full of pennies. Of course the Dan Miller microplates are an excellent value if you want your stuff to look more professional and if you live in a place where he ships.

2017 Microplates for Sale
    Yea saw that thread but am in Canada I'll try and pick some up or maybe actually try the multiple collar thing if I have to for the press and eventually bench aswell.

Update:
    Had a good training session today
    Interesting development in the deadlift tho..
    I would much rather do double overhand and have added chalk to all my work sets and have seen improvements by doing that however I felt stuck when doing deads as I could barely do my last warmup set. The bar nearly fell out of my hands and it seemed very heavy. I decided to try to use lifting straps I had picked up last year and wow.. Grip was definitely the limiting factor. I was able to do my workset easily and could probably increase another 10 maybe even 20 pounds right away atleast.

I'll keep eating, get microplates for continuous linear progress, make the set or fail the rep and not give up due to feelings, probably pick up some wrist wraps to minimize bending in the wrists aswell as continue to improve technique and use straps for deadlift work sets to maximize load.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by RiberoD07 View Post
    Update:
    Had a good training session today
    Interesting development in the deadlift tho..
    I would much rather do double overhand and have added chalk to all my work sets and have seen improvements by doing that however I felt stuck when doing deads as I could barely do my last warmup set. The bar nearly fell out of my hands and it seemed very heavy. I decided to try to use lifting straps I had picked up last year and wow.. Grip was definitely the limiting factor. I was able to do my workset easily and could probably increase another 10 maybe even 20 pounds right away atleast.

I'll keep eating, get microplates for continuous linear progress, make the set or fail the rep and not give up due to feelings, probably pick up some wrist wraps to minimize bending in the wrists aswell as continue to improve technique and use straps for deadlift work sets to maximize load.

Thanks!

Start practicing hook grip on your warm up sets and in a few weeks you can ditch the straps and hook all your working sets. Also videoing your sets and getting them form reviewed on this forum or the reddit forum good way to fix form issues.

Macros aswell hitting around 430g of carbs, 175g of protein and 118g of fat.
    Resting around 1 minute in between warm up sets and closer to 2 minutes sometimes 3 for the last few work sets.
    Rest more between work sets. How's the last rep of the first set? If it moves easy, but you're failing on later sets you need more rest between sets. Rest times will start stretching out as you get deeper into LP. A grindy last rep on the second set can really make the last set tough too...even with more rest.

Quote Originally Posted by John Weaver View Post
    Rest more between work sets. How's the last rep of the first set? If it moves easy, but you're failing on later sets you need more rest between sets. Rest times will start stretching out as you get deeper into LP. A grindy last rep on the second set can really make the last set tough too...even with more rest.
    Yea last session really reflected that. I thought I was resting enough but realized that I wasn't in a rush and took my time resting around 4 to 5 minutes per workset sometimes even more if I needed it and did all 3 work sets at about the same speed. Once again bench was very easy could probably have made a greater jump but going with the 5lbs a week till I can't don't want to regress and picked up a set of 1.25 lb plates online for when I can't add 5 lbs. Did 5 reps of 180 the first 2 sets on bench. Asked someone to spot me on my last set and managed to do 6 reps and probably still had one in the tank so good all around.
    Also trying to get more sleep in so going for 7 or even 8 hours whereas I usually hit 6 and last year was hitting closer to 5 or less
    Glad to see strength finally picking up saw a friend at the gym and he told me that he read about starting strength and was starting the program but he didn't have the book! I lent him my copy feels great to be able to help someone else get onboard too. I have a kindle version a paperback version and the starting strength app just gotta get myself some nice merch haha.

In the last 3 months I've gone from 162lbs to 175lbs by going from eating around 2700 calories a day sometimes less to tracking calories and hitting 3500 calories a day. Would go higher but on a budget, already around 18% bf and would rather not eat dirty especially since gaining weight BP has shot up but that's possibly another story..
    It sounds like the main problem is that you're not eating enough, and you say that you're limited in getting enough [clean] food to eat by your budget. What are you eating and how much are you spending on it? There are a lot of cheap and clean food options, maybe we can find something that would work for you.

Quote Originally Posted by crc View Post
    It sounds like the main problem is that you're not eating enough, and you say that you're limited in getting enough [clean] food to eat by your budget. What are you eating and how much are you spending on it? There are a lot of cheap and clean food options, maybe we can find something that would work for you.
    Switch it up between rice, chicken breast/thigh, brocolli and potato/sweet potato which is pretty hard to get enough calories in to lean ground beef, rice, lentils/beans/chickpeas. Breakfast are usually eggs, bacon/sausage and toast. Protein filled snack I usually have is tuna and crackers. If I want something sweet I'll usually make a smoothie with frozen fruits and milk.

Drink about a litre of milk a day aswell as lots of water. Meal prepping has helped curb junk food desires by always having a relatively healthy meal nearby but currently spending about $60 a week on food which is about my budget anyways.. Preworkout I usually have a bagel or rice cakes and a banana.

Switch it up between rice, chicken breast/thigh, brocolli and potato/sweet potato which is pretty hard to get enough calories in to lean ground beef, rice, lentils/beans/chickpeas. Breakfast are usually eggs, bacon/sausage and toast. Protein filled snack I usually have is tuna and crackers. If I want something sweet I'll usually make a smoothie with frozen fruits and milk.

Drink about a litre of milk a day aswell as lots of water. Meal prepping has helped curb junk food desires by always having a relatively healthy meal nearby but currently spending about $60 a week on food which is about my budget anyways.. Preworkout I usually have a bagel or rice cakes and a banana.
    Sounds like good choices and a tight budget. I can stretch my meat budget about twice as far by shopping sales and stocking up, but that's about all I got.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by crc View Post
    Sounds like good choices and a tight budget. I can stretch my meat budget about twice as far by shopping sales and stocking up, but that's about all I got.
    Yea I used to buy about 500 grams of meat at a time but buying closer to 4 lbs of meat freezing it and meal prepping most of it when I can. Much cheaper and pretty easy to do too. Steady progress still so hopefully it continues for a few months more.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12