starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The State of HS Coaching in my Town

Default The State of HS Coaching in my Town

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    My Daughter's varsity basketball coach asked her last week if she had been doing anything "stupid, like squatting or deadlifting" on her off days. Never mind that she is 14, 135 pounds and before the season she hit a solid 200# deadlift and 170 squat and her game performance was a step change over last year. Now I have to fear that if someone sees her lifting at the Y wioth me that word may get back to the coach and she will pay the price with reduced playing time for lying and telling him she was not lifting weights.

JESUSFUCKINGCHRIST this is frustrating

Just venting

Because she is under coach's orders not to lift weights because she he doesn't heed her hurt. Never mind that this is the first year that she has strength trained and the first year he knee does not hurt at all and the first time she has not even asked for or needed a knee brace. Im sure bringing her squat from 45 to 170 had absolutely nothing to do with that. UGH

Home gym? She's not lifting so heavy as yet to make this a huuuuge investment. She can then continue sub rosa.

Quote Originally Posted by OZ-USF-UFGator View Post
    My Daughter's varsity basketball coach asked her last week if she had been doing anything "stupid, like squatting or deadlifting" on her off days.
    Was this question targeted directly at her? If so, it sounds like your daughter could use some practice at the very valuable life skill of information control. He found out somehow... think about how and control the narrative so it doesn't happen again. She will use this skill in sports, school, and every job she ever has. I'm not telling her to lie, but she should be aware of what and how information is shared so that people don't get ideas that are counter to her goals.
    She is probably doing other things that all highschoolers do against the recommendation of sport coaches like: not eating enough, not eating the right foods, not sleeping enough, not doing off-season work as prescribed. Just add weight training to the long list of other things the coach would be upset about and realize that every member of the team is doing something they shouldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    Home gym? She's not lifting so heavy as yet to make this a huuuuge investment. She can then continue sub rosa.
    This will be in the budget late summer.

Quote Originally Posted by A Schenck View Post
    Was this question targeted directly at her? If so, it sounds like your daughter could use some practice at the very valuable life skill of information control. He found out somehow... think about how and control the narrative so it doesn't happen again. She will use this skill in sports, school, and every job she ever has. I'm not telling her to lie, but she should be aware of what and how information is shared so that people don't get ideas that are counter to her goals.
    She is probably doing other things that all high schoolers do against the recommendation of sport coaches like: not eating enough, not eating the right foods, not sleeping enough, not doing off-season work as prescribed. Just add weight training to the long list of other things the coach would be upset about and realize that every member of the team is doing something they shouldn't.
    Her name is on the YMCA wall for under 18 female squat record. Yes, this was directed at her, too.

As far as your analysis of things High schoolers do wrong, I am not sure I agree...I mean the next thing you'll tell me is that teenagers can be disrespectful to their parents too...hahahahahahahahahah. We have 3 games left and we will continue lifting. In fact in early March, we're going to see a SS coach together. This is just a shitty situation dealing with the coach's mind set.

This is everything wrong with high school "physical education" right here. Too much emphasis on "ball" and no real "physical education" at all. The weak kids learn how to be bullied and not to do anything about it or they're snitches who just aren't doing something right, and the rest learn herd mentality while trying to land a ball through a hoop or through some goal post. And for what? What does "ball" get you in life besides that? Not a damn thing. Not one damn thing. I suppose it's fun and some of the lucky ones can bond over it. Big friggin deal. It's something society puts way too much stock into and if they got as riled up about important things that matter in real life as they do some team winning a ball throwing contest the world would be MUCH, MUCH different.

In case you couldn't tell I was one of those who was bullied. I was a very weak ectomorph and unskilled because no one would take the time with someone worthless as me to even help me at least learn the damn skills to play a game.

Then I discovered weight lifting. I got nothing but support and intelligent encouragement.

Now in my 40s, almost every one of my high school peers is fat, ugly, sick, a few have died, and most are miserable while I'm still peaking.

Fuck ball. Fuck society.

LIFT WEIGHTS.

And don't you ever let anyone or anything get in the way of that, either.

Retort: “I’ll be squatting and deadlifting but not doing anything stupid.”

Quote Originally Posted by David McClelland View Post

Now in my 40s, almost every one of my high school peers is fat, ugly, sick, a few have died, and most are miserable while I'm still peaking.

Fuck ball. Fuck society.

LIFT WEIGHTS.

And don't you ever let anyone or anything get in the way of that, either.
    WORD.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by OZ-USF-UFGator View Post
    My Daughter's varsity basketball coach asked her last week if she had been doing anything "stupid, like squatting or deadlifting" on her off days. Never mind that she is 14, 135 pounds and before the season she hit a solid 200# deadlift and 170 squat and her game performance was a step change over last year. Now I have to fear that if someone sees her lifting at the Y wioth me that word may get back to the coach and she will pay the price with reduced playing time for lying and telling him she was not lifting weights.

JESUSFUCKINGCHRIST this is frustrating

Just venting
    Ask the Coach if the HS Boys Team could beat the HS Girls team? If so, why? Is it because the boys have so much better technique and skill? If that is the case then he should fire himself for being a shitty coach.

But if it isn't skill and technique then what could be the big difference between girls and boys? Hmmmm.

That always trips them up. I've done it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast