starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Question on Going to Mixed Grip for Deadlift

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Interesting. I always recommend that lifters use a hook grip for heavy deadlifts unless they just absolutely don't want to or can't for some reason. The hook solves several potentially bad problems and creates very few, if you're willing to get your thumbs used to the idea. All told, the alternate grip can be used safely as long as you pay careful attention to the supine elbow. It can be used efficiently if you keep the bar as low in your fingers as you can manage. But if you have already fucked up your forearm flexors, don't supinate that side. The hook solves this problem.
    Thanks for taking the time to weigh in on this Mark, and for especially giving me that key information. Had I ever gone to mixed grip in the future I would have never considered that and hence definitely alternated the grip back and forth between arms. This and others' responses make me very thankful I asked the question here!

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    Finally, I am not sure how to take your comments here and on our YouTube channel without regarding them as being inflammatory. If this is in error, I apologize.
    Apology accepted.

I was very obviously being sarcastic. You may consider re wording your comments in the future, David.

It’s helpful to play well with others- you never know when you’ll need us

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Interesting. I always recommend that lifters use a hook grip for heavy deadlifts unless they just absolutely don't want to or can't for some reason. The hook solves several potentially bad problems and creates very few, if you're willing to get your thumbs used to the idea. All told, the alternate grip can be used safely as long as you pay careful attention to the supine elbow. It can be used efficiently if you keep the bar as low in your fingers as you can manage. But if you have already fucked up your forearm flexors, don't supinate that side. The hook solves this problem.
    I have been practicing the hook grip with my warm up sets for several weeks now. I have been doing NLP with the deadlift 3x/week. I’ve been following the same pattern for warm ups, after empty bar, I go to 125 for 5, then 155 for 5. This is as much as I can take using the hook grip before going to double overhand (since I really want to improve my grip), and I go up to 175 for 5. Then I do a mixed grip at about 20 lbs from my max lift for 2 before I do my work set of 5. I’m doing so many sets so that I can break in my hook grip and improve my grip strength.

Anyhow, in the hook grip position, my thumb feels like it is pulling off my hand. I’m not sure if this is due to my own error, or if this is still the process of breaking in the grip. Is this a normal part of breaking in? I’m approx 5’2 with small hands. I’ve watched the hook grip video and practice using that hand positioning. In any event, I can take the pressure on my thumb nails. And if this is all a part of the process, then I’m in it until it breaks in.

If you have small hands, short fingers, or some combination of carpal anthropometry that makes hook gripping insecure- it may not be the appropriate grip for you for your work and final warm up sets.

I would not recommend hook gripping your warm up sets that you can double overhand, as there is minimal benefit (if any) to doing this.

A pulling sensation sounds about normal, though if the bar is sliding down your palm- it may be secondary to placing the bar too high in the hand instead of distal bear the proximal digital crease.

If the issue persists after a substantial period of time of acclimation- 4-6 weeks, is just try the alternate grip.

I think the risk of biceps rupture are overstated considering the overall frequency and the performance benefit of the hook grip with respect to asymmetry is my main rationale for preferring it as initial management.
    Last edited by Jordan Feigenbaum; 02-13-2018 at 08:17 PM.

Jordan,

Thank you for taking the time out to answer my inquiry.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    If you have small hands, short fingers, or some combination of carpal anthropometry that makes hook gripping insecure- it may not be the appropriate grip for you for your work and final warm up sets.
    I have small hands, which makes it harder, but I don’t think its a deal killer. I have a male friend who competed in weightlifting comps with hands just a tad bigger.

I would not recommend hook gripping your warm up sets that you can double overhand, as there is minimal benefit (if any) to doing this.
    I really want to get the hook grip so that I can use it when I start cleans again (tomorrow!!). It’s really important to me! I think it will help me with speed and to stop muscling it (which is what I always did before). I know I will also need to keep my arms straight (flex triceps) to avoid the muscling.

The only way I could break in the hook is to use it on the warm up sets, the work sets wouldn’t be possible. I actually have to use straps for the work set (235 on Monday). How would you suggest incorporating the hook grip in if not on the warm up sets?

A pulling sensation sounds about normal, though if the bar is sliding down your palm- it may be secondary to placing the bar too high in the hand instead of distal bear the proximal digital crease.
    I’m not sure there’s enough room for anything to slide, but I will pay close attention next time. I just wanted to make sure that the pulling sensation isn’t a deal killer. I need my thumbs, in general. LOL

I didn’t have any concerns about bicep ruptures, until NOW. Seriously, the straps should protect against it. As much as I’d like to lift my work sets with any own natural grip, it’s just not possible. Legs strength > Grip strength.

I used alternating grip for years, but after a while began to feel a bit of stretch/ache in the bicep on the supinated hand after. While it was probably not gonna do anything awful, and I became careful to fully extend the arm (flexing the tricep) just at the start of the pull, it got me worrying a bit. I'm 55 now, and my tendons are likely not as resilient anymore.

Hook grip sucks big time, and perhaps I'm just a wimp or am doing it wrong, but I wondered if the pain was putting a psychological limit on my pulls. So I've switched to double overhand, with straps for working sets.

I'm not planning to compete, and I figure my hands are plenty strong with warmup sets double overhand to 335 or so.

I've played around with hook grip, but I can't get it to feel secure at higher weights. I was warming up one time, and I couldn't lock out 550 because the bar slipped a little in my hands and tore hunks of skin off the inside of my thumbs. With mixed grip, I could easily hold a weight for 30 seconds that is over 100 pounds heavier. Maybe I need to give it more time, but it was the insecurity that bothered me, not the pain.

When I use mixed, I take every set that way (starting with 135). This gives me plenty of sets to get the tendons on the supinated hand stretched out. My first set or two things can be tight, so going double overhand up to a high weight and then switching could be bad for me. I've never noticed any imbalances either. I also don't rotate hands and pull the same way every time. If you were to start with mixed grip, I would do all your sets that way. As mentioned before, it doesn't impede grip strength either. This would give you plenty of practice with it. As you become proficient, then you can decide if you want to warm up DOH first or not.

Well it was deadlift day today. Hook grip worked fantastically up into the last warm up set, but failed on my work set. There wasn't even any discomfort, but my hands are kinda large.

I did make a mistake and put 10 more lbs on the lift than I was supposed to, and I was already going up 10 lbs over last week (from 290 to 300). I actually DID make that pull but only one rep, after the hook grip had failed and I had to use the straps.

Maybe the hook grip would have worked on 300 lbs. IDK But my (totally noob assumption) CNS was so fried from really grinding out the 310 lbs I could barely even do down to 255 for reps after that. Hope that's normal.

Anyway I REALLY appreciate the advice for the hook grip so THANKS AGAIN.

I felt a little tennis elbow type feeling in the really heavy pull and it has remained, so I'm that much more grateful I didn't take any advice to use mixed grip and put my bicep/forearm flexors at risk.

Do you use chalk? Sometimes putting a little athletic tape on the thumbs helps

starting strength coach development program
    I haven't had a reason to until now, and my gym does allow it surprisingly. I'll keep your suggestions in mind.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast