starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Question on Going to Mixed Grip for Deadlift

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by David McClelland View Post
    I haven't had a reason to until now, and my gym does allow it surprisingly. I'll keep your suggestions in mind.
    Dude, don't think about it, just use the damn chalk.
    It will help your grip immensely, and will probably also cure your fried CNS!

Did my deadlift for the week today and I'm happy to report the hook grip worked great at full work set for 5 reps! I'm not fond of having to reset after every rep and it FEELS counterproductive, like I'm not doing 5 actual reps when I have to stop, even very briefly. But I know I'm going to be getting to that point soon anyway just to be able to breathe. One of the perks of advancement!

I'll no doubt experiment with the mixed grip with light weights at some point just for education sake and shits'n'giggles, but I'm definitely sticking with hook and thanks again for steering me that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Interesting. I always recommend that lifters use a hook grip for heavy deadlifts unless they just absolutely don't want to or can't for some reason. The hook solves several potentially bad problems and creates very few, if you're willing to get your thumbs used to the idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    I think the risk of biceps rupture are overstated considering the overall frequency and the performance benefit of the hook grip with respect to asymmetry is my main rationale for preferring it as initial management.
    I'm 48 and my double overhand grip is starting to give at 225 lbs. Are there are any concerns for an older lifter using the hook grip over the long term? The pain/skin/nail issues make me concerned about a long term tendon/ligament/something injury.

I don't plan on competing so straps are a real option, but I'm intrigued by the hook grip and paranoid about the asymmetry/bicep issues of the alternate grip. I am primarily concerned about preventing injury given my age.

Quote Originally Posted by cantara256 View Post
    I'm 48 and my double overhand grip is starting to give at 225 lbs. Are there are any concerns for an older lifter using the hook grip over the long term? The pain/skin/nail issues make me concerned about a long term tendon/ligament/something injury.

I don't plan on competing so straps are a real option, but I'm intrigued by the hook grip and paranoid about the asymmetry/bicep issues of the alternate grip. I am primarily concerned about preventing injury given my age.
    I'm 46, no issues. I've hooked ~430 for a single. Other 'older' lifters around here have done much better I'm sure.

As you say, if you are not competing, just use the straps on the heaviest sets.

Once you get to a point where your pulling workouts include volume deadlifts, or backoff sets, you use could dual-overhand-grip (DOH) those for "grip work".

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by cantara256 View Post

I'm not one of the experts you asked but I'm 46 and Rip already recommended the hook grip to me, so I'm pretty sure it's fie. As careful and paranoid as I am about injury I had no trouble with my thumb. Yes it was uncomfortable both at the nail and skin against the knurls, but I'm pretty confident that's just something to get used to. I felt no "pull" on my thumb whatsoever. But now I have larger hands. IDK what size your hands are and that probably affects things.

The only reason I'm even bothering with this is I just want one less piece of equipment to rely on and made it a point to develop a skill that allowed that. If after time I find I just don't like the hook grip I too can just go back to straps. If you're not competing there really isn't any issue with using them aside from getting a good pair as recommended in Starting Strength.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123