starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barbell Rows jumping around

Default Barbell Rows jumping around

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I try to do my Barbell Rows the way Rippetoe describes in his video (from the ground, explosive concentric, letting them fall instead of a slow descent).

I solely use bumper plates. The issue I've always had is that the bar bounces around and atleast 1 in 3 shifts a few inches to the left or right. This requires either an unbalanced subsequent pull or for me to reset the bar back. This wasn't as big of an issue before, but now that I have a little bit of a space constraint in my home gym, it's even more annoying.

Any solutions for this? I was thinking about putting some kind of foam padding underneath the weight and see if that helps.

What surface are you performing these on currently?

If the bouncing reset and shift bothers you to this extent, perhaps controlling the eccentric just a little might be in order.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    If the bouncing reset and shift bothers you to this extent, perhaps controlling the eccentric just a little might be in order.
    Especially if you're using someone else's barbell

I am doing these on stall mats.

I started to control the descent more in the meantime, but it definitely takes a bit out of the concentric explosiveness. Hence why I'm asking.

Why would it matter who's barbell I'm using? I'm using my own rogue Ohio power bar at my own home gym. Are you saying I'm breaking the barbell? I admit, I don't know much about barbell longevity, but seems odd considering they are meant to withstand 800+lb and also drops from overhead like in a snatch.

Solid pass. I tried controlling the eccentric during heavy rows, I think this has to be the fastest method of giving yourself tendonitis.

How about the bumpers themselves? You could buy harder bumpers with less bounce. Rogue lists the durometer/level of bounce for most of the plates on their site. I've been fine with a single pair of Echo bumpers and 3/4" horse stall mat.

Or maybe film it, is one side landing first?
    Last edited by Ethan Thibaudeau; 02-14-2018 at 12:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mugaaz View Post
    Solid pass. I tried controlling the eccentric during heavy rows, I think this has to be the fastest method of giving yourself tendonitis.
    What can I say? Back when I was last doing them about 5 years ago, it didn't bother mine. Controlling, in my own experience, means using a braking drag on the descending bar rather than yanking. Works pretty well for power cleans and high pulls too. I refuse to let reps drop. If Norbert Schemansky didn't drop his, I don't need to either.

What can I say? Back when I was last doing them about 5 years ago, it didn't bother mine. Controlling, in my own experience, means using a braking drag on the descending bar rather than yanking. Works pretty well for power cleans and high pulls too. I refuse to let reps drop. If Norbert Schemansky didn't drop his, I don't need to either.
    Funny, I think controlling the descent on 'heavy' rows actually *helped* the tendinitis in my elbow. Last day rowing was 235 x 10, 10, 8. Sore as hell, but tendons feel good. Maybe that'll change once the weight is higher? Dunno...

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by dhalli View Post
    Funny, I think controlling the descent on 'heavy' rows actually *helped* the tendinitis in my elbow. Last day rowing was 235 x 10, 10, 8. Sore as hell, but tendons feel good. Maybe that'll change once the weight is higher? Dunno...
    If you're doing "explosive" rows, then controlling the descent murders my elbows. If you are doing typical gym row where the bar is just squeezed up, then controlling the descent is fine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast