starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question about SS program and posible modifications

Default Question about SS program and posible modifications

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi all,

I'm new to the weightlifting thing, but I'm convinced that I need to follow this program to have a good start in this sport while not aiming to compete or something, just want to lose weight and be healty.

The thing is, that there are some movements that are not easy to where I tain, like the snatches, or every movement that involves leaving the weights hit the ground because there is not infraestructure to do this, no bumper plates, no platforms of any kind, I just found a gym that has olympic barbell so you can have an idea of what is normal in here... So... My question is, can I avoid doing those lifts? Can I just use, squats, benchs, oh press and deadlift to build a good physique and strength?

Thank you so much for any help!

Of course you can!

While SS is an excellent program, there are several varieties on basically the same theme: A progressive overload program with the basic barbell exercises.

Go ahead and get strong.

Thank you Marenghi, do you think I should wait a while before finding those replacement exercises?

Just don't drop the snatches. Catch them in the hang.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Just don't drop the snatches. Catch them in the hang.
    Wouldn't that be kinda harsh on your back? Sorry, I never did that exercise, so actually I don't know

It can be done as JoeJ said.

I dont recommend it for beginners as they dont learn good technique if a power exercise is always muscled up cause you cant drop it, when an attempt ought to have been dropped instead.

If you want to keep an explosive exercise, just do clean or snatch pulls. Heck, you could even do trap bar jump squats. Otherwise just do light deadlifts (being very similar to clean pulls if you do these with the SS deadlift technique).

Thanks, after I go a little better on the main lifts, I will try to do these too, and see how that goes.

I'm kinda worried about my back, I had been in pain some times for really stupid movements yo know, something like stepping bad in a curb or something like that, I know I was in an unhealty weight and I was not making any kind of exercise, so that is a factor too, but still, it scares me a little.

I think that will go away haha

Quote Originally Posted by mrs1986 View Post
    Wouldn't that be kinda harsh on your back? Sorry, I never did that exercise, so actually I don't know
    On a weak untrained back, maybe. For somebody who comes to that stage in their training, shouldn't be an issue.

Snatches? Read the book.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast